Coil, 110 GA, r = 70m. How much tension force is generated?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to generate a magnetic field within a coil, with specific measurements and concerns regarding mechanical stress. The equations for calculating the force per meter between wires are mentioned and a proper analysis would involve integrals over the loop. The topic of using the coil for an antimatter drive and its viability is also brought up.
nehorlavazapal

Homework Statement

I need to generate a field of B = 10 T at the center of a magnetic loop (coil). The coil should have r = 70 m. The coil material itself should be a cable of r = 0.2 m. The question, how much mechanical stress is applied throughout the loop? I'm trying to figure out, if such a material (coil) could be made.

Homework Equations

Not needed, as the magnetic field equations are widely known among the visitors of the forum. On the other hand, I don't know the relevant equations related to the loop stress (tension forces)

The Attempt at a Solution

The current flowing through the loop must be 110 GA.

Force per meter F/L between wires separated by 1 meter from F/L = mu_0I^2/(2pid):
= 2.42×10^15 N (Newtons). But I have no idea what to do in the case of a loop (is it lower by factor of 70^2 ? or 140^2?). Is it 1,23*10^11 N or 5*10^11 N? Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't care about small prefactors (like 2, or 1/2), I think assuming a wire at 70m distance will give the right order of magnitude. Note that you have to convert "force per meter" to "tension in the cable" afterwards (the second value will be much larger). A proper analysis would involve integrals over the loop.
Anyway, a support structure can handle this.

I don't think the application for this coil is properly designed.

I can't afford a support structure, it's antimatter drive designed to intercept only a fraction of the hard gammas produced in anihilation. It is not a viable option.

Some new physics is needed to take care of the gammas, the antimatter drive as currently pressented is dead. It needs to produce terrawatts of energy just to produce veery slow accelerations and those TWs of gammas just mlet away and erode the engine during the boost years. If you increase the mass you also push the accel. time to centuries. The loop would allow for 1/4 c in 50 years. However, it breaks.

1. How do you calculate the tension force generated by a coil with a diameter of 110 GA and a radius of 70m?

The tension force is calculated using the formula T = k x r, where T is the tension force, k is the spring constant, and r is the radius of the coil. The spring constant can be determined by measuring the force required to stretch the coil by a certain length. Once the spring constant is known, the tension force can be calculated by multiplying it by the radius of the coil.

2. What is the significance of the coil's diameter and radius in determining the tension force?

The diameter and radius of the coil are important factors in determining the tension force because they determine the amount of potential energy stored in the coil. A larger diameter or radius means that the coil can stretch further, resulting in a higher tension force.

3. Can the tension force generated by the coil be increased or decreased?

Yes, the tension force can be increased or decreased by changing the spring constant or the radius of the coil. A higher spring constant or a larger radius will result in a higher tension force, while a lower spring constant or a smaller radius will result in a lower tension force.

4. What are some practical applications of a coil with a tension force of 110 GA and a radius of 70m?

A coil with these specifications could be used in various mechanical systems or devices such as shock absorbers, springs for vehicles, or in machinery that requires precise tension control. It could also be used in scientific experiments to study the relationship between tension force and coil dimensions.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with a coil that generates a tension force?

Yes, there are a few safety considerations to keep in mind when working with a coil that generates a tension force. It is important to handle the coil with care as it could potentially snap and cause injury. It is also important to use appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling the coil. Additionally, make sure to follow proper procedures for measuring and adjusting the tension force to avoid accidents or damage to the coil.