Collection of Favorite Movie Phrases

• Thread starter new6ton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, these three phrases are: - "Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind."- "‘Mankind.’ That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can’t be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it’s fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom … Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution … but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist."- "We're going to
Clint's character is being followed by a thug. He notices, goes after him and pins him to the ground.
"Who sent you after me?"
"My superiors sent me."
"That doesn't narrow it down much."

• Haha
Likes Klystron, epenguin and DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
Back to School.
Rodney's listening in class to a teacher ( Sam Kinison) a Vietnam vet who seems to start shouting and getting excited at things for no apparent reason.
"Good teacher, really seems to care. About what, I have no idea!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes DennisN and sysprog
Mark44 said:
"Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn."
Umm -- Mr. Rhett Butler doesn't use Miss Scarlett O'Hara's name in his last words to her in that film -- it's "Frankly, my Dear, I don't give a damn."

I like this line from Clint Eastwood in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (near the end of this clip he presents a nice solution to a 3-body problem :oldwink:): "You see, in this world, there's two kinds of people, my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig; you dig."

• Love
  • Haha
Likes Klystron, davenn, DennisN and 2 others
sysprog said:
Umm -- Mr. Rhett Butler doesn't use Miss Scarlett O'Hara's name in his last words to her in that film -- it's "Frankly, my Dear, I don't give a damn."

I like this line from Clint Eastwood in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (near the end of this clip he presents a nice solution to a 3-body problem :oldwink:): "You see, in this world, there's two kinds of people, my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig; you dig."

I guess Clint could have added: You dig? Other guy. "Yes, I dig"

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and sysprog
Ennio Morricone wrote the music for that movie (The Good, the Bad & the Ugly) and for about 400 other films -- Hugo Montenegro and his Orchestra performed it -- Hugo wrote the theme song for the the TV show I Dream of Jeannie (title taken from a Stephen Foster song):

When I was a little boy I would hold the oral thermometer near an incandescent light bulb until the mercury registered 101 degrees Fahrenheit so I could plausibly let on to my Mom that I was sick and probably contagious so I could stay home from school and watch Barbara Eden -- I didn't know why when I was 7 years old (she's 88 now and still pretty in my eyes), but I knew I liked her.

Likes pinball1970
I know the OP asked for movie quotes, but I stumbled upon a funny dialogue in a tv series I wanted to share.
I am watching Sherlock again, and in "A Scandal in Belgravia" (Season 2, episode 1),
when Sherlock and Watson are fighting, Watson gets a grip around Sherlock from the back and the following
short dialogue occurs:

Watson: You want to remember, Sherlock, I was a soldier. I killed people.
Sherlock: You were a doctor!
Watson: I had bad days!

And I found a clip of it on youtube here: :smile:
(the dialogue is at 0:29, but for a better context, watch the whole clip)

Likes pinball1970
I don't watch movies much, but here is one that I like, but found that nobody has mentioned here yet:
I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?
And another one:
"Where did they go? Space?"
"Not into space. Into the space between spaces."

Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
Seems we got a lot of Clint Eastwood fans in here.

• Love
Likes davenn, pinball1970 and DennisN
Only genre in which I think he , Clint, has not dabbled, is comedy. Wonder how that would turn out with his usual over-intense facial expression. Edit: He has filmed many different types. To be fair, I can't imagine Dangerfield filming a Western or a cop movie.

Last edited:
Hope you'll forgive "cheating" a bit by offering a TV quote instead of a movie quote, but I think my favorite of all time is "The freedom to make my own mistakes was all I ever wanted" (Mance Rayder from Game of Thrones).

"The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon. The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!"

WWGD said:
Only genre in which I think he , Clint, has not dabbled, is comedy. Wonder how that would turn out with his usual over-intense facial expression. Edit: He has filmed many different types. To be fair, I can't imagine Dangerfield filming a Western or a cop movie.
'Every which way but loose' and 'Every which way you can,'

Likes davenn, gmax137, ChemAir and 2 others
pinball1970 said:
'Every which way but loose' and 'Every which way you can,'
Good points. IIRC, he held his intense gaze through most of them? EDIT: Not a criticism of his , I am a fan, just curious.

WWGD said:
Good points. IIRC, he held his intense gaze through most of them? EDIT: Not a criticism of his , I am a fan, just curious.
Yes he did and his intonation ranged from quietly brooding to brooding but he just happened to have that charisma that could keep you fixated and interested.
His one liners have been explored on here so hats off to the writers who wrote the ultimate one liners for the ultimate lead guy.

Likes gmax137 and WWGD
pinball1970 said:
Yes he did and his intonation ranged from quietly brooding to brooding but he just happened to have that charisma that could keep you fixated and interested.
His one liners have been explored on here so hats off to the writers who wrote the ultimate one liners for the ultimate lead guy.
Yes, I give him credit for integrity, having his own style.

Likes pinball1970
Wrichik Basu said:
I don't watch movies much, but here is one that I like, but found that nobody has mentioned here yet:
I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk? I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?
We old guys remember rollin' rollin' rolling -- keep them dogies rollin' -- roll 'em in -- rawhide! Rawhide! -- Rowdy Yates -- Mr. Eastwood's first big role.

• Love
Likes Klystron, pinball1970 and davenn
pinball1970 said:
hats off to the writers who wrote
That's so true. I saw a thing not too long ago where someone asked Jerry Seinfeld if the cast could get back together and do a new "Seinfeld" episode. His reply was along the lines of, we don't need to get the cast back together, we'd need to get the writers back together and that will just never happen...

Likes pinball1970
gmax137 said:
That's so true. I saw a thing not too long ago where someone asked Jerry Seinfeld if the cast could get back together and do a new "Seinfeld" episode. His reply was along the lines of, we don't need to get the cast back together, we'd need to get the writers back together and that will just never happen...
Didn't David and Larry contribute in the writing?

Another good one:

"Makes it look like we're sizing up the situation. Gives her time to get the wrong impression."
"Are you here to make fun of me too?"
"No ma'am. We at the FBI don't have a sense of humor that we're aware of."

Likes sysprog and davenn
sysprog said:
Ennio Morricone wrote the music for that movie (The Good, the Bad & the Ugly) and for about 400 other films -- Hugo Montenegro and his Orchestra performed it -- Hugo wrote the theme song for the the TV show I Dream of Jeannie (title taken from a Stephen Foster song):

When I was a little boy I would hold the oral thermometer near an incandescent light bulb until the mercury registered 101 degrees Fahrenheit so I could plausibly let on to my Mom that I was sick and probably contagious so I could stay home from school and watch Barbara Eden -- I didn't know why when I was 7 years old (she's 88 now and still pretty in my eyes), but I knew I liked her.

Morricone's music to the Good the bad and the ugly was fantastic.

Likes sysprog
What we've got here is a failure to communicate.

Likes Klystron, DennisN, pinball1970 and 1 other person
I am mad as hell and I am not going to take this anymore

Likes Klystron
256bits said:
What we've got here is a failure to communicate.
Lol. . . . #35

Likes pinball1970
OCR said:
Lol. . . . #35

Ohhh. Missed that one. Sorry for being neglectfull, but if it will help try a

Likes pinball1970
sysprog said:

The good the bad and the ugly didn't make my top 20 and although there are some great lines it is the music that stands out.
Please allow this very slight digression.
'Blondie, you know what you are? Just a dirty son of a...'

• Sad
Likes davenn, epenguin and sysprog
OCR said:
Lol. . . . #35

'No one can eat 50 eggs..'

Likes sysprog
"The truth, you can't stand the truth."

Likes Klystron and pinball1970
gleem said:
"The truth, you can't stand the truth."
'Handle'
That should be in my top 20

Likes davenn and gleem
Your planet is really bright.

Likes pinball1970
@pinball1970 that Denmark orchestra performance was freaking awesome

Likes pinball1970
sysprog said:
@pinball1970 that Denmark orchestra performance was freaking awesome
Yeah they are great. They do a nice Interstellar too

Likes sysprog
gmax137 said:
Your planet is really bright.
I had to YT to find this and then realized I have seen it. Great film.

Likes fresh_42
pinball1970 said:
I had to YT to find this and then realized I have seen it. Great film.
... and another one I haven't thought of ...

Likes pinball1970
"Be careful out there. It makes no sense to be killed by a plant".
Triffids.jpg

"Just watch out for the guerrillas."
"There aren't any gorillas around here!"

Likes WhatIsGravity and davenn