Collection of Favorite Movie Phrases
- Thread starter new6ton
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Movie
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
107 replies · 12K views
Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
Did anyone else look for holes in the science?gleem said:"I'm going to have to science the s#i! outta this."
Anyway.
'Get away from her you b1tch!'
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
'You were my brother Charlie you shuda looked out for me a little bit, you shuda taken care of me a little bit. so I wouldn't have had to take those cheap dives for the short end money. I could have had class, I could have been a contender, I could have been somebody. instead of a bum which is what I am.'
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
Spread the word.
Get on the wire to every squadron
around the world.
Tell them how to bring
those sons of b1tches down.
Get on the wire to every squadron
around the world.
Tell them how to bring
those sons of b1tches down.
OCR
- 996
- 936
sysprog
- 2,617
- 1,793
Umm -- Mr. Rhett Butler doesn't use Miss Scarlett O'Hara's name in his last words to her in that film -- it's "Frankly, my Dear, I don't give a damn."Mark44 said:"Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn."
I like this line from Clint Eastwood in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (near the end of this clip he presents a nice solution to a 3-body problem
): "You see, in this world, there's two kinds of people, my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig; you dig."
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
sysprog said:Umm -- Mr. Rhett Butler doesn't use Miss Scarlett O'Hara's name in his last words to her in that film -- it's "Frankly, my Dear, I don't give a damn."
I like this line from Clint Eastwood in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (near the end of this clip he presents a nice solution to a 3-body problem): "You see, in this world, there's two kinds of people, my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig; you dig."
I guess Clint could have added: You dig? Other guy. "Yes, I dig"
sysprog
- 2,617
- 1,793
Ennio Morricone wrote the music for that movie (The Good, the Bad & the Ugly) and for about 400 other films -- Hugo Montenegro and his Orchestra performed it -- Hugo wrote the theme song for the the TV show I Dream of Jeannie (title taken from a Stephen Foster song):
When I was a little boy I would hold the oral thermometer near an incandescent light bulb until the mercury registered 101 degrees Fahrenheit so I could plausibly let on to my Mom that I was sick and probably contagious so I could stay home from school and watch Barbara Eden -- I didn't know why when I was 7 years old (she's 88 now and still pretty in my eyes), but I knew I liked her.
When I was a little boy I would hold the oral thermometer near an incandescent light bulb until the mercury registered 101 degrees Fahrenheit so I could plausibly let on to my Mom that I was sick and probably contagious so I could stay home from school and watch Barbara Eden -- I didn't know why when I was 7 years old (she's 88 now and still pretty in my eyes), but I knew I liked her.
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
I know the OP asked for movie quotes, but I stumbled upon a funny dialogue in a tv series I wanted to share.
I am watching Sherlock again, and in "A Scandal in Belgravia" (Season 2, episode 1),
when Sherlock and Watson are fighting, Watson gets a grip around Sherlock from the back and the following
short dialogue occurs:
Watson: You want to remember, Sherlock, I was a soldier. I killed people.
Sherlock: You were a doctor!
Watson: I had bad days!
And I found a clip of it on youtube here:
(the dialogue is at 0:29, but for a better context, watch the whole clip)
I am watching Sherlock again, and in "A Scandal in Belgravia" (Season 2, episode 1),
when Sherlock and Watson are fighting, Watson gets a grip around Sherlock from the back and the following
short dialogue occurs:
Watson: You want to remember, Sherlock, I was a soldier. I killed people.
Sherlock: You were a doctor!
Watson: I had bad days!
And I found a clip of it on youtube here:
(the dialogue is at 0:29, but for a better context, watch the whole clip)
- 2,188
- 2,694
I don't watch movies much, but here is one that I like, but found that nobody has mentioned here yet:
And another one:I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?
"Where did they go? Space?"
"Not into space. Into the space between spaces."
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Only genre in which I think he , Clint, has not dabbled, is comedy. Wonder how that would turn out with his usual over-intense facial expression. Edit: He has filmed many different types. To be fair, I can't imagine Dangerfield filming a Western or a cop movie.
Last edited:
XZ923
- 136
- 62
Hope you'll forgive "cheating" a bit by offering a TV quote instead of a movie quote, but I think my favorite of all time is "The freedom to make my own mistakes was all I ever wanted" (Mance Rayder from Game of Thrones).
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 13,438
- 8,110
"The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon. The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!"
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
'Every which way but loose' and 'Every which way you can,'WWGD said:Only genre in which I think he , Clint, has not dabbled, is comedy. Wonder how that would turn out with his usual over-intense facial expression. Edit: He has filmed many different types. To be fair, I can't imagine Dangerfield filming a Western or a cop movie.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
Yes he did and his intonation ranged from quietly brooding to brooding but he just happened to have that charisma that could keep you fixated and interested.WWGD said:Good points. IIRC, he held his intense gaze through most of them? EDIT: Not a criticism of his , I am a fan, just curious.
His one liners have been explored on here so hats off to the writers who wrote the ultimate one liners for the ultimate lead guy.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Yes, I give him credit for integrity, having his own style.pinball1970 said:Yes he did and his intonation ranged from quietly brooding to brooding but he just happened to have that charisma that could keep you fixated and interested.
His one liners have been explored on here so hats off to the writers who wrote the ultimate one liners for the ultimate lead guy.
sysprog
- 2,617
- 1,793
Wrichik Basu said:I don't watch movies much, but here is one that I like, but found that nobody has mentioned here yet:
We old guys remember rollin' rollin' rolling -- keep them dogies rollin' -- roll 'em in -- rawhide! Rawhide! -- Rowdy Yates -- Mr. Eastwood's first big role.I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk? I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
- 3,212
- 3,841
That's so true. I saw a thing not too long ago where someone asked Jerry Seinfeld if the cast could get back together and do a new "Seinfeld" episode. His reply was along the lines of, we don't need to get the cast back together, we'd need to get the writers back together and that will just never happen...pinball1970 said:hats off to the writers who wrote
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Didn't David and Larry contribute in the writing?gmax137 said:That's so true. I saw a thing not too long ago where someone asked Jerry Seinfeld if the cast could get back together and do a new "Seinfeld" episode. His reply was along the lines of, we don't need to get the cast back together, we'd need to get the writers back together and that will just never happen...
- 20,819
- 28,467
Another good one:
"Makes it look like we're sizing up the situation. Gives her time to get the wrong impression."
...
"Are you here to make fun of me too?"
"No ma'am. We at the FBI don't have a sense of humor that we're aware of."
"Makes it look like we're sizing up the situation. Gives her time to get the wrong impression."
...
"Are you here to make fun of me too?"
"No ma'am. We at the FBI don't have a sense of humor that we're aware of."
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
sysprog said:Ennio Morricone wrote the music for that movie (The Good, the Bad & the Ugly) and for about 400 other films -- Hugo Montenegro and his Orchestra performed it -- Hugo wrote the theme song for the the TV show I Dream of Jeannie (title taken from a Stephen Foster song):
When I was a little boy I would hold the oral thermometer near an incandescent light bulb until the mercury registered 101 degrees Fahrenheit so I could plausibly let on to my Mom that I was sick and probably contagious so I could stay home from school and watch Barbara Eden -- I didn't know why when I was 7 years old (she's 88 now and still pretty in my eyes), but I knew I liked her.
Morricone's music to the Good the bad and the ugly was fantastic.
256bits
Gold Member
- 4,284
- 2,297
What we've got here is a failure to communicate.
256bits
Gold Member
- 4,284
- 2,297
I am mad as hell and I am not going to take this anymore
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
sysprog said:Ennio Morricone wrote the music for that movie (The Good, the Bad & the Ugly) and for about 400 other films -- Hugo Montenegro and his Orchestra performed it -- Hugo wrote the theme song for the the TV show I Dream of Jeannie (title taken from a Stephen Foster song):
When I was a little boy I would hold the oral thermometer near an incandescent light bulb until the mercury registered 101 degrees Fahrenheit so I could plausibly let on to my Mom that I was sick and probably contagious so I could stay home from school and watch Barbara Eden -- I didn't know why when I was 7 years old (she's 88 now and still pretty in my eyes), but I knew I liked her.
The good the bad and the ugly didn't make my top 20 and although there are some great lines it is the music that stands out.
Please allow this very slight digression.
'Blondie, you know what you are? Just a dirty son of a...'