Collection of Favorite Movie Phrases

  • Thread starter Thread starter new6ton
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Movie
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
107 replies · 12K views
new6ton
Messages
223
Reaction score
5
What are the favorite or touching phrases you have ever heard in movies? Mine is that scene in Phantom of the Opera:

Christine:

"Pitiful creature of darkness
What kind of life have you known?
God give me courage to show you,
You are not alone."

Who wrote that line anyway?

What's yours?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh there are so many floating in my head. Just yesterday I found youtube for one of my favorite: ad hoc ad loc and quid pro quo...so little time ...so much to know...

 
My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dRic2 and hutchphd
I sorry Dave, I can't do that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, jtbell and Bystander
Joe: My mistake. Four coffins...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DEvens, Rubidium_71, davenn and 2 others
The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
BillTre said:
I sorry Dave, I can't do that.
Lol. . . I'm sorry Bill, but I think the correct quote went. . . like this . . 😉

.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, pinball1970 and BillTre
OK:
I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, nuuskur and OCR
There are many good quotes from movies, but I want to take the opportunity to honor one of the kings of funny one-liners, Arnold Schwarzenegger. Some famous Arnie quotes:

"If it bleeds, we can kill it."
- from Predator. That sounds pretty logical.

"I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle."
- From Terminator 2, said by the terminator to a biker guy in a biker bar full of other biker guys.

"Consider that a divorce."
- from Total Recall, after he kills his fake wife.

"See you at the party, Richter!"
- from Total Recall, after his enemy Richter falls to his death from an elevator.

"Let off some steam."
- from Commando, after he kills a man by impaling him on a steam pipe.

"Stay thy hand, fair prince!" (said by someone else to Hamlet)
"Who said I'm fair?"
- from Last Action Hero, where Schwarzenegger plays Hamlet in a hilarious dream sequence. I actually quite like some scenes in the Last Action Hero, particularly the Hamlet scene, but the movie was not a very well received movie.

"To be or not to be? Not to be."
- from Last Action Hero, after Hamlet blows up the castle. 😄

Arnold Schwarzenegger plays Hamlet in "Last Action Hero":
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, pinball1970, davenn and 1 other person
I only remembered two phrases in two movies (by heart), mostly romantic. The second one is from Runaway Bride:

"I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life. Because I know in my heart, you're the only one for me"
 
DennisN said:
Some famous Arnie quotes:
..., and, "I'll be back."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, pinball1970 and DennisN
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

This is the actual quote from the movie in question, which is a paraphrase from the book that the movie was based on.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN
“Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!”
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: mathwonk, DEvens, Klystron and 6 others
jtbell said:
“Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!”
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jtbell and DennisN
We're going to need a bigger boat.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, dRic2, phinds and 3 others
This is a third phrase I'll not forget. I'm looking for moving or touching phrases, something no future android or AI can't utter because they don't have a soul (source of abstract ideas).

This is from Independence Day:

“Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind.”

“‘Mankind.’ That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can’t be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it’s fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom … Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution … but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist.”
“And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: ‘We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive!’ Today we celebrate our Independence Day!”
 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and pinball1970
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mondayman and OCR
"Would you like to buy some Girl Scout cookies?"
"Are they made with real Girl Scouts?"
 
Vanadium 50 said:
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no
point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Okay, a simple "wrong" would've done just fine. . . .😒

.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and Vanadium 50
BillTre said:
OK:
I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
"Stop, Dave. Will you stop, Dave? Stop, Dave. I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, davenn, OCR and 2 others
gmax137 said:
We're going to need a bigger boat.
One of THE best quotes from a totally awesome film.

One of my favourite film quotes is when Ben Sharkey confronts the Bikers below
From 1.47-1.52 but the clip gives a bit of context
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: sysprog and DennisN
Saddest? 'Its happening.' great film.