Collection of foundational papers?

• Thread starter jjustinn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Papers
In summary, the conversation is discussing different collections of foundational papers on QFT/QED. The first book mentioned is Miller's "Early QED: A Source Book" which covers the desired topics in the introductory essay, but the included papers are more narrow. Another collection edited by Schwinger is mentioned, but it is incomplete and does not include some important papers. The conversation then suggests John C. Taylor's "Gauge Theories in the Twentieth Century" as a valuable resource, which includes original papers on Yang-Mills and Feynman's "Quantum theory of gravitation". It is also recommended to check out Mehra and Rechenberg's "The Historical Development of Quantum Theory Part 2" for a detailed history of
jjustinn
I'm looking for a collection of foundational papers (in English translation) on QFT/QED -- something like van der Waerden's excellent collection of foundational QM papers, but going beyond -- eg Dirac and Jordan's early work with EM field quantization, on through Yukawa and Feynman, and ideally even Yang-Mills and beyond...

I'd thought I'd found it in Miller's Early QED: A Source Book...and the "background essay" at the beginning does cover virtually everything I'm looking for...but the actual papers that are included are much narrower.

The only other thing that seems to come close is a collection edited by Schwinger -- but, first, the papers all appear to be in their original languages, and it too seems to be rather incomplete (or perhaps over-focused on QED in particular)...For example, it doesn't include Yukawa's foundational paper, either.

Am I just asking too much? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out
John. C. Taylor, Gauge Theories in the Twentieth Century
It contains a lot of original papers, including Yang - Mills, as well as Feynman's "Quantum theory of gravitation".

If you are also interested in historical details of QFT without original papers, see also
Mehra, Rechenberg, The Historical Development of Quantum Theory Part 2

Demystifier said:
Check out
John. C. Taylor, Gauge Theories in the Twentieth Century
It contains a lot of original papers, including Yang - Mills, as well as Feynman's "Quantum theory of gravitation".
Wow -- a valuable lesson in "don't judge a book by its cover". Definitely putting this one on my buy-list.

If you are also interested in historical details of QFT without original papers, see also
Mehra, Rechenberg, The Historical Development of Quantum Theory Part 2

I have a few texts with summaries of varying length (Weinberg, Duncan, the aforementioned Miller), so my initial reaction to this was "not interested", but seeing the amount of detail present, this could be even more valuable than original papers...or, at the least, serve as a supplement to give them some more context.

Thanks -
Justin

jjustinn said:
Wow -- a valuable lesson in "don't judge a book by its cover".
A good example of this lesson is also
Whittaker, A History of the Theories of Aether and Electricity (part 2 - The Modern Theories)
Despite the title, it contains an excellent and detailed history of quantum mechanics and relativity.
For example, it is only after this book that I really understood how Heisenberg arrived at his matrix mechanics.

Demystifier said:
A good example of this lesson is also
Whittaker, A History of the Theories of Aether and Electricity (part 2 - The Modern Theories)
Despite the title, it contains an excellent and detailed history of quantum mechanics and relativity.
For example, it is only after this book that I really understood how Heisenberg arrived at his matrix mechanics.

Hey, I actually liked the covers of the Whittaker books ..but then, I'm in the apparent minority that finds the old Dover covers (eg take an image from the text, open in mspaint, randomly click around with the "fill" tool) charming.
But totally agreed as to the content. Both volumes have a wealth of unique explanations.

jjustinn said:
Hey, I actually liked the covers of the Whittaker books ...
What I actually meant is that, from the title, one would never expect to find so good explanations of quantum mechanics or general relativity.

1. What is a collection of foundational papers?

A collection of foundational papers is a curated selection of academic articles or research papers that are considered to be the most influential and groundbreaking in a particular field of study. These papers often serve as a starting point for further research and are highly regarded by experts in the field.

2. How are papers selected for a collection of foundational papers?

Papers are typically selected for a collection of foundational papers based on their impact, relevance, and contribution to a specific field of study. They may also be chosen by a panel of experts or through a rigorous review process by a reputable publication or institution.

3. Why are foundational papers important?

Foundational papers are important because they provide the basis for further research and advancements in a particular field. They often introduce groundbreaking theories, methods, or discoveries that shape the current understanding and direction of a specific area of study.

4. How can I access a collection of foundational papers?

A collection of foundational papers can be accessed through various means, such as academic databases, libraries, or online repositories. Many institutions and organizations also offer access to these papers through subscriptions or memberships.

5. Are there different types of foundational papers?

Yes, there are different types of foundational papers, including theoretical papers that propose new ideas or concepts, empirical papers that present research findings, and review papers that synthesize and analyze existing literature on a topic. Each type can contribute to a collection of foundational papers in its own way.