Collision between two balls, determine the speed of other ball

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
dani123
Messages
134
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



This figure shows two identical billiard balls before and after a glancing collision. Determine the speed of the other ball.

module 2 num 4.jpg


Homework Equations



0=mv1sin30- mv2sin60


The Attempt at a Solution



v1= [(0.05m/s)sin60]/(sin(30))= 0.087 m/s


Here I am looking for someone to check my calculations and that I have respected the proper number of significant figures. I was also wondering if anyone could explain to me what the difference is between an elastic collision and a glancing collision? Thanks so much in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A glancing collision is simply a type of collision where the objects strike at an angle. Elastic and inelastic collisions have to do with the energy and momentum conserved. Your answer looks right to me.