Collision/conservation of momentum & energy

In summary, The balls collide and the momentum is divided equally between the three balls. The ball that collided with the stationary balls was going 3.4 m/s before the collision and 8.3 m/s after the collision.
peachpie
1. In Fig. 10-41, ball 1 with an initial speed of 12 m/s collides elastically with stationary balls 2 and 3 that are initially in contact with each other. The centers of balls 2 and 3 are on a line perpendicular to the initial velocity of ball 1. The three balls are identical. Ball 1 is aimed directly at the contact point, and all motion is frictionless.(Hint: With friction absent, each impulse is directed along the line connecting the centers of the colliding balls, normal to the colliding surfaces.)

2. momentum = mv, KE = 1/2mv2

3. after the collision, marbles two and three are going at the same velocity and angle; let's call them vcos(x). marble 1 is going in the opposite direction it had been traveling at initially. so since v2 = v3 , my final equations are 12 = 2v2cos(x) - v1 (mass cancels out). since there are two unknowns, i wrote a second equation: 1/2(12)^2 = v1^2 + 1/2(v2cos(x))^2, tried to solve using substitution, and didnt work. For angle x, I've tried both 30 degrees and 45 degrees. I did this using various methods about ten times. help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
peachpie said:
3. after the collision, marbles two and three are going at the same velocity and angle; let's call them vcos(x). marble 1 is going in the opposite direction it had been traveling at initially. so since v2 = v3 , my final equations are 12 = 2v2cos(x) - v1 (mass cancels out).
OK.
since there are two unknowns, i wrote a second equation: 1/2(12)^2 = v1^2 + 1/2(v2cos(x))^2, tried to solve using substitution, and didnt work.
Redo this one. The KE must be calculated using the full velocity of the ball, not just one component. Set the total KE before equal to the total KE after.
For angle x, I've tried both 30 degrees and 45 degrees. I did this using various methods about ten times.
Figure out the angle using geometry. What angles do their centers make during the collision?

Thank you, Doc Al! I got my new answers to be v1 = 3.4 m/s, v2=v3 = 8.3 m/s (they were correct).

1. What is the difference between momentum and energy?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, while energy is a measure of its ability to do work. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, whereas energy is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

In a collision between two objects, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. This means that if one object gains momentum, the other object must lose an equal amount of momentum in the opposite direction.

3. How does the conservation of energy apply to collisions?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In collisions, the total kinetic energy of the system before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision, assuming there is no external force acting on the system.

4. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where there is no loss of kinetic energy. In an elastic collision, the objects involved bounce off each other and continue moving with the same speed and direction as before the collision. These types of collisions are rare in real-world situations but are often used in physics problems to simplify calculations.

5. Can momentum and energy be conserved in an inelastic collision?

Yes, it is possible for both momentum and energy to be conserved in an inelastic collision. In an inelastic collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy due to the objects sticking together after the collision. However, the total momentum before the collision is still equal to the total momentum after the collision, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.