1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision With Linear and Angular Momentum

1. Dec 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the average force of the collision of a rolling complex object (assume sphere for inner object: 0.2m with another object along the edge with its density concentrated into a point: 1.2m from center, 10kg, and the total radius to contact surfaces is 1.2m) if the object is originally rolling without slipping, traveling at a velocity of 20 m/s, and is brought to a stop within 0.01m.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] v_0 = 20 m/s, \ \ \ v_f = 0 m/s [/tex]
    [tex] m_1 = 40 kg, \ \ \ r_1 = 0.2 m [/tex]
    [tex] m_2 = 10 kg, \ \ \ r_2 = 1.2 m [/tex]
    [tex] x_0 = 0 m, \ \ \ x_f = 0.01 m [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm trying using impulse, but I'm not sure how to include the rotational portion.

[tex]
    \begin{multline*}
    & \overline{J} = \overline{F} \Delta t = M \Delta v \\
    & \Delta t = \frac {\Delta x} {\overline{v}} = 1 * 10^{-2} s \\
    & \overline F = \frac { M \Delta v } { \Delta t } = \frac {50 kg * 20 m/s} {1 * 10^{-2 }s} = 1 * 10^{-6} N
    \end{multline*}
    [/tex]

I also know the inertia, but I'm not sure how (and if) this factors into this equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2007 #2
    I am not able to understand the system of the two spheres.Are they concentric?

4. Dec 1, 2007 #3
    It's treated as a single sphere, but the fact there is another mass on the edge affects the inertia calculation.

5. Dec 1, 2007 #4
    I'll give you a hint the rotational inertia does matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?