1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collisions/conservation of energy[conceptual]

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    as alluded to in the title, this isn't so much a "problem" as a concept for a lab/experiment we performed.
    so, for some reason I was sure that a collision between two hockey pucks of roughly equal masses would result in an elastic collision, but I calculated the KE, and the two values were different, meaning it wasn't elastic. is this, uh, okay? from the way our professor explained the concept of elastic collisions[though not necessarily the lab itself], this type of collision[two similar masses moving at angles and producing a glancing collision] should result in conserved KE. but, maybe I just didn't understand what he was trying to say.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the real world, there is no such thing as a perfectly elastic collision, and therefore, some kinetic energy will always be lost. But the loss of energy between a collision of 2 pucks should not be as huge, say, as the loss would be in the case of 2 marshmallows colliding . How much did you lose? Did you do the calculations correctly?

4. Mar 29, 2010 #3
    the calculated KE before the collision was around 8.58*10^-3J. KE after was about 5.97*10^3J. so it lost, approximately. 2.5*10^-3J of energy following the collision.

I may have done the calculations incorrectly, but the more plausible situation is that my derived equations may be incorrect; I'm asking on here to see if these answers would be somewhat plausible, or if I should try to completely change everything.

5. Apr 5, 2010 #4
    Elastic collision processes are taught in a complicated way by most teachers. There is an utterly simple method - it is geometrical, however. But once we appreciate the result, we can do the algebra and get the required numbers.

First, forget about real life situations, because they are most complicated - in fact, that is the reason great scientists have resorted to thought experiments (ideal world situations).

1D collisions (head-on) are the simplest to understand. Solve the problem in center of mass reference frame, first. (just as you do a multiplication or division problem using logarithms). Then , in the next step you can transform the result to the frame of your interest. (just as you do a multiplication or division result using antilogarithms).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook