Collisions - did I solve correctly

• Thread starter haki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking verification on their solution to a problem involving a falling rock and the average force of the ground acting on it. Keywords related to the problem are mentioned, and the person uses energy conservation and the momentum-impulse theorem to solve it. The final solution is expressed as F = sqrt(2*g*h)*m/t and is confirmed to be correct.
haki
Hi,
I would like somebody to verify if I have correctly solved a problem.
The problem is this: Rock of mass m falls from height 20 m to the ground. What is the average force of the ground acting on the rock if it takes 0.025 s to bring the rock to full stop. Express the force in relation to the mass of the rock.
Keywords that came to my mind are: Collisions, momentum, impusle, mom.-impul. theorem.
The trick should be in expressing the 2nd Newton law with momentum.
F = m*a is equivalent to F = p/t.
To get the momentum p. I would use energy conservation. all the potential energy goes to the kinetic energy just before the collision:
m*g*h=1/2*m*v^2 -> v = sqrt(2*g*h) soo
F = p/t
p=v*m
v=sqrt(2*g*h)
Solution:F= sqrt(2*g*h)*m/t Putting the numbers in it would get us:
F = sqrt(2*9.8*20)*m/0.025 = 729 * m
Was my resoning correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yer, what you've done looks right

Hi there,
Your reasoning and solution seem to be correct. You have correctly applied the principles of momentum and energy conservation to solve the problem. Additionally, your use of keywords such as collisions, momentum, impulse, and the momentum-impulse theorem show a good understanding of the topic. Keep up the good work!

1. How do I know if I solved a collision correctly?

To check if you solved a collision correctly, you can use conservation of momentum and energy. If the total momentum and energy before and after the collision are the same, then your solution is likely correct.

2. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved while kinetic energy is not. This means that some energy is lost during an inelastic collision.

3. How do I calculate the final velocities of objects after a collision?

To calculate the final velocities, you can use the conservation equations for momentum and energy. Set up equations for both before and after the collision and solve for the final velocities.

4. Can I use the same equations for all types of collisions?

No, different types of collisions may require different equations to solve. For example, an elastic collision would use different equations than an inelastic collision. It is important to understand the type of collision you are dealing with in order to use the correct equations.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving collisions?

Some common mistakes when solving collisions include forgetting to include all objects involved in the collision, using incorrect equations for the type of collision, and not properly setting up conservation equations for momentum and energy. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of velocities and the signs of values in equations.