Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Colourful language in math writings

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Not math, not a paper, but one my professors in a Solid State lecture:

"there are no gay or bi electrons, opposites attract!"

Then he went on to teach us about cooper pairs which I would consider the Eiffel Tower of solid state, but I desist.

4. Sep 23, 2010 #3
    here are a couple from Willard's General Topology:

5. Sep 23, 2010 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Andras Stipsitz, as quoted by my friend:
    "Convex sets are the sets where you don't play hide and seek because it's too boring."

6. Sep 23, 2010 #5
    I once installed a counter in an industrial plant that came with a less-than-professionally-written manual. See the attachment for an excerpt.

Attached Files:

7. Sep 24, 2010 #6
    the lakes of wada is funny too. I was surprised to find that "wada" doesn't just mean water, but it's also a guy's name :tongue:

8. Sep 25, 2010 #7

Femme_physics

Gold Member

I would argue that it's lacking. Scientists worry too much about seeing professional so people would respect them and what they say, but since whatever they say is true, they can colour it whichever way they want...just keep it tasteful, to the point, and it can even have a greater educational value than a bland explanation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook