Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combination Formula with a lockout twist

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    Combination Formula with a "lockout" twist

Hi! I am trying to figure out all possible combonations for 6 items among a group of 18 choices. So I turn to my old friend C(n,r) to calculate where n=18 and r=6. "But WAIT!" I tell you before you hastily begin scribbling, "There is a twist..." You see my problem is that the items are divided up into 6 groups, with 3 choices in each group. Once a choice has been made in a group for the combination the other 2 in the group are unavailable, or "locked out" of the rest of the combination. The order doesn't necessarily matter but a choice must be selected from each of the six groups. Here's a visual representation:

A B C
    1 A1 B1 C1
    2 A2 B2 C2
    3 A3 B3 C3
    4 A4 B4 C4
    5 A5 B5 C5
    6 A6 B6 C6

If "B1" is selected in a single combination then "A1" and "C1" cannot be apart of the same combination. What is the formula for this and how many possible combinations are there?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted