Create Your Sundae - 45 Combination Options for Two Scoops

• Thread starter chemistry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
The solution is similar to the ice cream problem, where the first person has 9 possible handshakes, the second person has 8 possible handshakes (since they already shook hands with the first person), and so on. So the total number of handshakes is 9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1=45. In general, for n people, the number of handshakes is n(n-1)/2.
chemistry1
Hi,
An ice cream shop sells ten different flavors of ice cream. You order a two-
scoop sundae. In how many ways can you choose the flavors for the sundae if
the two scoops in the sundae are different flavors?

That's what I did :

9+(9-1)+(9-2)+...+(9-9)=45

Would this be any good ?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
chemistry1 said:
Hi,
An ice cream shop sells ten different flavors of ice cream. You order a two-
scoop sundae. In how many ways can you choose the flavors for the sundae if
the two scoops in the sundae are different flavors?

That's what I did :

9+(9-1)+(9-2)+...+(9-9)=45

Would this be any good ?

Thank you!

It might be if you explain your reasoning. It's not the usual way to write it. Why do you think it's correct?

Dick said:
It might be if you explain your reasoning. It's not the usual way to write it. Why do you think it's correct?

Well, we need two different sorts, so we have a total combination of 9 for 10 different flavour.

For example, if we consider each flavour a number, then : (1,2) (1,3) ... til (1,10)

Now, if we want to see for the second flavour, we already did the combination (1,2), so we must substract 1 combination from 9.

so we have 9+(9-1) and we continue this way.

I hope that's what you're seeking !

Your reasoning is solid and your answer is correct. It may also be helpful for you to know that the answer is 10 choose 2, which is denoted by [itex]^{10}C_2[/itex].

chemistry1 said:
Well, we need two different sorts, so we have a total combination of 9 for 10 different flavour.

For example, if we consider each flavour a number, then : (1,2) (1,3) ... til (1,10)

Now, if we want to see for the second flavour, we already did the combination (1,2), so we must substract 1 combination from 9.

so we have 9+(9-1) and we continue this way.

I hope that's what you're seeking !

Yes, that's what I'm seeking and yes, it's correct. There is a more standard way to do this. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination That would let you write it as 10*9/2=45. Same number.

Ok, Thank you again. I didn't know the standard way...^^

The "C" notation seems to be out of fashion, at least for starting out.
John Allen Paulos' influence I suspect.

The usual approach seems to be to argue there are 10 possibilities for the 1st scoop, and, since the second scoop has to be different, there are 9 remaining ... for 10x9=90 possible sundaes with 2 different flavors... however, that counts say "vanilla+ chocolate" as different from "chocolate+vanilla" ... since the order does not matter, then the required value is half that: 90/2=45.
http://betterexplained.com/articles/easy-permutations-and-combinations/

That was quite interesting reasoning though, I'd like to see that applied to combinations of 3 scoops.

This is similar to the problem of counting handshakes: if 10 people shake hands such that every person shakes hands with every other person exactly once, how many handshakes take place?

1. What are the 45 combination options for two scoops of "Create Your Sundae"?

The 45 combination options for two scoops of "Create Your Sundae" include a variety of flavors, toppings, and sauces. Some popular combinations include chocolate ice cream with hot fudge and sprinkles, vanilla ice cream with caramel and cookie dough, and strawberry ice cream with fresh berries and whipped cream.

2. Can I mix and match flavors for my two scoops of "Create Your Sundae"?

Yes, you can mix and match any flavors you like for your two scoops of "Create Your Sundae". You can even choose two different base flavors, such as chocolate and vanilla, for your two scoops.

3. Are there any dairy-free or vegan options for "Create Your Sundae"?

Yes, we offer a variety of dairy-free and vegan options for "Create Your Sundae". These include sorbet flavors, such as mango and raspberry, as well as non-dairy toppings, such as coconut whipped cream and vegan chocolate sauce.

4. Can I add additional toppings or sauces to my "Create Your Sundae"?

Absolutely! You can add as many additional toppings and sauces to your "Create Your Sundae" as you like. We have a wide selection of toppings and sauces to choose from, including nuts, candies, fruits, and syrups.

5. What if I have food allergies or dietary restrictions?

If you have any food allergies or dietary restrictions, please let our staff know before ordering your "Create Your Sundae". We will do our best to accommodate your needs and provide alternative options. However, we cannot guarantee that there won't be any cross-contamination in our kitchen.