Phillip's Phun Phactory: Probability Problem

• Thread starter SprucerMoose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, Phillip's Phun Phactory offers two lotto-type games, "Choose 2" and "Choose 3", where players choose numbers to potentially win double or triple their money. Each game costs $1 to play. "Choose 2" has a 1/10 chance of winning and an average loss of 80 cents per game, while "Choose 3" has a 1/20 chance of winning and an average loss of 85 cents per game. The introduction of a second prize, where players can win 1.5 times their money in "Choose 2" and double their money in "Choose 3", changes the average loss to a profit of 10 cents per game in "Choose
SprucerMoose

Homework Statement

Phillip's Phun Phactory operates a number of different lotto-type games.
In "Choose 2", you are required to choose two numbers from 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, and if you win you receive double your money.
In "Choose 3", you are requied to choose three numbers from 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, and if you win you receive triple your money.
Each game costs $1 to play.
(a) Which game gives you the better chance of making a profit?PART 2
Second prizes are introduced as follows:
In "Choose 2" you receive 1.5 times your money if you correctly select one of the two numbers.
In "Choose 3" you receive double your money if you correctly select two of the three numbers.

(b) Which would you choose if there was a second prize in each game.

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem relates to combinations.

I calculated the amount of outcomes possible using the combinations below.

[tex]\binom{5}{2} = 10[/tex] and [tex]\binom{6}{3} = 20[/tex]

For the remainder of this problem, I am just going to focus on "choose 2", as the methods are the same.

Thus the probability of selecting the correct combination for "Choose 2" is 1/10. It would then be expected that after 10 games, $10 will have been spent and $2 won back ($1 spent on that game and $1 profit), resulting in a net loss of $8 and an average loss of 80 cents per game. However, the book is telling the answer is a 70 cent loss per game. I imagine that they are calculating this based on a winner receiving their money back PLUS double their money or have I done something wrong?

Using the same method, I obtained an average loss of 85 cents for the "Choose 3" game, which the book says is correct.Onto part (b) - where I am struggling. For "Choose 2" I calculated the amount of possible combinations where only a single number of the 2 numbers chosen could appear in the two randomly selected numbers as follows.

[tex]\binom{3}{1} + \binom{3}{1} = 6[/tex]

Calculated this way because I am calcuating the amount of combinations with each selected number and the other excluded, leaving 1 more to be selected from 3.

This result was confirmed with the ten possible combinations below.

(12)
(13) (23)
(14) (24) (34)
(15) (25) (35) (45)

Say I choose (12)

(13) (14) (15) (23) (24) (25) are the 6 that give one or the other, but not both.

Thus probability of getting a second chance prize is 6/10. Over 10 games I would expect to lose the $8 from the calcuation above and gain 6 x 1.5 = $9.

$9 - $8 = $1 (expected net profit over 10 games)

1/10 = 0.1

Thus a person would expect to win an average of 10 cents per game. The book says a loss of 20 cents would be incurred.

I also came to the solution of an average profit of 5 cents per game in the case of "Choose 3" with a second chance prize, whereas the book says it should be a loss of 55 cents

Can someone please show me where i have gone wrong? Is the book incorrect?Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answers for the Choose 2 case.

Chance of getting both numbers = 1/10
Chance of getting neither = 3/10
Chance of getting one only = 6/10

Return: -1 + (1/10)(2) + (6/10)(3/2)
= -1 + 2/10 + 9/10
= 1/10

So the book is wrong. Thanks for the help.

1. What is "Phillip's Phun Phactory: Probability Problem"?

"Phillip's Phun Phactory: Probability Problem" is a mathematical puzzle that requires the use of probability to solve. It involves a scenario where there are a certain number of boxes and each box contains a certain number of items. The goal is to determine the probability of selecting a specific item from a specific box.

2. How is probability used in "Phillip's Phun Phactory: Probability Problem"?

Probability is used to calculate the likelihood of selecting a specific item from a specific box. This involves calculating the total number of possible outcomes and then determining the number of favorable outcomes. The probability is then expressed as a fraction or decimal.

3. What skills are required to solve "Phillip's Phun Phactory: Probability Problem"?

Solving "Phillip's Phun Phactory: Probability Problem" requires a solid understanding of basic probability concepts such as sample space, events, and calculating probabilities. It also requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to determine the most efficient approach to solving the problem.

4. Are there any tips for solving "Phillip's Phun Phactory: Probability Problem"?

One tip for solving "Phillip's Phun Phactory: Probability Problem" is to break the problem down into smaller, manageable parts. This can help to simplify the problem and make it easier to calculate the probability. Another tip is to double-check your work and make sure all calculations are accurate.

5. How can "Phillip's Phun Phactory: Probability Problem" be applied in real life?

The skills used in solving "Phillip's Phun Phactory: Probability Problem" can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as predicting the likelihood of winning a game or determining the probability of certain events occurring. In fields such as finance and engineering, probability is used to make informed decisions and minimize risks. Additionally, understanding probability can also help individuals make more informed decisions in everyday life.