Combination usage in the well-known word problem

In summary: I had to sleepIn summary, the conversation discusses the difference between permutations and combinations and how they are used in determining the number of different letter arrangements possible from the 11 letters of MISSISSIPPI. The formula for combinations is explained and compared to the formula for permutations. It is also mentioned that the problem is to find the number of distinguishable permutations of the given (unlabeled) letters.
M. next
How many different letter arrangement can be made from the 11 letters of MISSISSIPPI?

(But using COMBINATION not the different permutation method)

I saw an answer and it says:
(combination of 1 out of 11)*(combination of 4 out of 10)*(combination of 4 out of 6) *(combination of 2 out of 2)

What does combination exactly mean, and in what way was it used here?

I mean if we don't want same words to appear, what will this have to do with taking say 4 Ss out of the left 10?

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi M. next! :smile:
M. next said:
What does combination exactly mean, and in what way was it used here?

I mean if we don't want same words to appear, what will this have to do with taking say 4 Ss out of the left 10?

"combination of k out of n", also written "n choose k", or nCk, or the vertical matrix (n k), and equal to n!/k!(n-k)!,

is the number of ways of selecting k things out of n where the order does not matter

M. next said:
(But using COMBINATION not the different permutation method)

I saw an answer and it says:
(combination of 1 out of 11)*(combination of 4 out of 10)*(combination of 4 out of 6) *(combination of 2 out of 2)Thanks in advance.
That's the answer for the number of permutations, not the number of combinations.

The difference between the two: "issi" and "siis" are two different permutations (arrangements) of the letters i,i,s, and s. They are not different combinations, however; order doesn't matter in combinations.

Suppose we put labels on the duplicated letters, making mississippi become mi1s1s2i2p1p2i3s3s4i4. There are 11 factorial (11!) permutations of these labeled letters because each (labeled) letter is distinct. For example, i1s1s2i2 and i1s1s3i2 are distinct permutations. Take those labels away and these two permutations become issi and issi: they are now indistinguishable.

The problem is to find the number of distinguishable permutations of the given (unlabeled) letters.

oh thanks, and sorry for the late reply

Combination is a mathematical term that refers to the number of ways a group of items can be selected from a larger set without regard to order. In this context, it is being used to determine the number of different letter arrangements that can be made from the 11 letters in the word "MISSISSIPPI" without considering the order in which the letters appear.

In the given solution, the combination method is being used to determine the number of ways to select a certain number of letters from the 11 letters in the word. For example, "combination of 1 out of 11" means selecting 1 letter from the 11 available letters. This is done for each letter in the word, resulting in the following combinations: 1 out of 11, 4 out of 10, 4 out of 6, and 2 out of 2.

The reason for taking 4 Ss out of the left 10 is to ensure that only unique combinations are counted. If we did not do this, we would end up with duplicate combinations such as "SSSS" or "SSPP". By limiting the number of Ss to 4 out of the left 10, we are essentially saying that we only want to consider combinations where each letter appears no more than 4 times.

Overall, the combination method is a useful tool in solving word problems like this one, as it allows us to determine the number of ways to select items without regard to their order.

1. What is combination usage in a word problem?

Combination usage in a word problem refers to the process of selecting a group of objects from a larger set without considering the order in which they are selected. This is different from permutation, which takes into account the order of selection.

2. How do you know when to use combination in a word problem?

In a word problem, you should use combination when the order of selection is not important and the objects can only be selected once. This can be identified by keywords such as "choose," "select," or "pick" in the problem.

3. Can you give an example of a word problem that uses combination?

Example: In a group of 10 friends, how many different ways can 3 people be chosen to form a committee without considering the order of selection?

Solution: This is a combination problem because the order of selection does not matter and each person can only be chosen once. The answer is 120, which can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects (10) and r is the number of objects being chosen (3).

4. What is the formula for calculating combination in a word problem?

The formula for calculating combination in a word problem is nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being chosen. This formula is also known as the combination formula.

5. Can combination be used in real-life situations?

Yes, combination can be used in real-life situations such as selecting a group of people for a project, choosing a team for a sports competition, or picking a winning combination of numbers in a lottery. It is a useful concept in probability and statistics.