What is the total number of combinations of letters in the word MISSISSIPPI?

In summary, we need to find the total number of combinations of one or more letters that can be made from the letters in the word MISSISSIPPI. This can be solved by finding the combination generating function and adding the coefficients except the constant term. The final answer is 149.
Suyash Singh
The total number of different combinations of one or more letters which can be made from the letters of the word MISSISSIPPI is?

First i don't understand what the question means
and second my answer is completely different from that in my book

My working-
since there are 11 letter 4 I 4 S 2 P
Number of combinations= (11!) /(4! 4! 2!)
But this is not even close to the answer.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It says, "of one or more letters". So you need to count all of the one letter combinations, the two letter combinations, the three letter combinations, and so on, then add them all up. You only counted the 11 letter combinations.

I'm not sure how to interpret combinations here.
Are MISSISSIPPI and IIIIMPPSSSS different combinations, or are they different ways to describe the same combination "take all 11 letters"?
The first interpretation makes the problem very messy casework, the second one has a short solution.

mfb said:
I'm not sure how to interpret combinations here.
Are MISSISSIPPI and IIIIMPPSSSS different combinations, or are they different ways to describe the same combination "take all 11 letters"?
The first interpretation makes the problem very messy casework, the second one has a short solution.
the answer is 149

The second interpretation then.
"Take all 11 letters" is one case. "Take all apart from the M" is another, and so on.

If you don't know how to start, it is always useful to look at smaller cases.

How many options are there for "AAA" or "AAAA"? What about "ABC"? "AAABBB"? Do you see some pattern?

Still can't understand anything :(

something like 1 letter combinations then 2 letter then so on?

Yes.

As an example, for "AAA" there are the combinations "A", "AA" and "AAA". The combination "" doesn't have any letter so it doesn't count. What about the other examples I mentioned?

ok so like this
there are 2p 4iand 4s

2+4+4+1!+2!+3!+4! (cause 4 different letters)

=43 oops

Suyash Singh said:
Still can't understand anything :(

Given the eleven letters MISSISSIPPI can you make the following words?

RIVER
MIPS
PIPPI
X
IS

Some yes, some no. So, how many words can you make in total?

Ah, I see that's not the question! I guess permutations would be words.

Last edited:
Suyash Singh said:
ok so like this
there are 2p 4iand 4s

2+4+4+1!+2!+3!+4! (cause 4 different letters)

=43 oops
See above: Start with easier cases to see how it works.

Suyash Singh said:
The total number of different combinations of one or more letters which can be made from the letters of the word MISSISSIPPI is?

My working-
What is the answer in your book ?

T13091999 said:
What is the answer in your book ?

Suyash Singh said:

My working-
OK. I've got the answer.
We have the multiset
$$\left\{\text{M}^1, \, \text{I}^4,\, \text{S}^4,\, \text{P}^2\right\}\tag*{}$$
Now, we can form the combination generating function by assuming each letter to be x.
$$(1+x)(1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4)^2(1+x+x^2)$$
$$=x^{11}+4x^{10}+9x^9+15x^8+21x^7+25x^6+25x^5+21x^4+15x^3+9x^2+4x+1$$
Now, add the coefficients except the constant term. You'll get 149.
Read this if you want to clear your understanding.
https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-fin...INATION-taking-4-at-a-time/answer/Nick-Shales

Likes Janosh89
@T13091999: While that is not impossible, it is like calculating 4+7 with Fourier transformations. It is way more complicated than necessary.
In addition, it is OP's homework, not yours.

mfb said:
@T13091999: While that is not impossible, it is like calculating 4+7 with Fourier transformations. It is way more complicated than necessary.
In addition, it is OP's homework, not yours.
I was just trying to help. I got the answer. Still, I am not happy with my way of doing it. Do you have any sugesstion ?
P.S. : I did the sum as I was trying to help the OP.

I liked the question, has this been posted here from another forum in order to engage more people?

T13091999 said:
Do you have any sugesstion ?
Post #5 should help enough to find a short, easy, general formula. With the right approach can calculate the answer in your head in a few seconds.

T13091999 said:
Still, I am not happy with my way of doing it. Do you have any sugesstion ?

Think of it like this. Someone has four bags, and each bag contains tiles with one letter on them. One is a bag of M's, another a bag of I's etc. (For the general problem you can imagine 26 bags each containing tiles with one letter.)

You want to make a combination of some or all of the letters in Mississippi. You need to get your letters from the person with the bags of letters. What do you ask for?

mfb said:
Post #5 should help enough to find a short, easy, general formula. With the right approach can calculate the answer in your head in a few seconds.
Seems like I killed the mosquito with my machine gun.
$$\Large \ddot \smile$$

I actually liked what came at the end of "a hail of bullets". Something to get to grips with before senescence takes its ugly grip.

What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations are both ways of counting the number of possible outcomes in a given situation. The main difference is that permutations take into account the order of the elements, while combinations do not. In other words, permutations are arrangements of a set of objects, while combinations are selections from a set of objects.

How do you calculate permutations?

The formula for calculating permutations is n! / (n - r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected. This formula is used when order matters, such as arranging the letters in a word or choosing a president, vice president, and treasurer out of a group of people.

How do you calculate combinations?

The formula for calculating combinations is n! / (r!(n - r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected. This formula is used when order does not matter, such as choosing a committee of 3 people out of a group of 10.

What is the difference between with and without replacement in permutations and combinations?

When calculating permutations and combinations, "with replacement" means that an object can be chosen more than once, while "without replacement" means that an object can only be chosen once. For example, when drawing cards from a deck, choosing a card and then putting it back before choosing again is "with replacement", while not putting the card back is "without replacement".

How do permutations and combinations relate to probability?

Permutations and combinations are often used in probability to determine the likelihood of a certain outcome occurring. By counting the total number of possible outcomes and the number of desired outcomes, we can calculate the probability of an event happening. Permutations and combinations are also used in determining the number of possible outcomes in a sample space for further probability calculations.