1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combining Proportionality Statements

1. Jun 29, 2011 #1
    If you have two statements, "a ∝ b" and "a ∝ c", you would get: "a = xb" and "a = yc" (where x and y are the constants of proportionality)

But what do you do so that it turns out to be "a = b × c"?

I've been searching for a DETAILED MATHEMATICAL explanation but have failed in finding one that responds thoroughly to my inquiry. I mean, I understand how it would result in "a = bc", but I'm having trouble understanding how to get there in concise mathematical steps and easy-to-understand mathematical reasoning.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2011 #2
    If anything, I would intuitively think that "a ∝ b" and "a ∝ c" imply "a ∝ bc", and thus a = kbc, where k is a constant of proportionality.

EDIT:
    Actually, I'm wrong.

First, some definitions:
    -to say of two variables a and b that "a ∝ b" means there exists a nonzero real constant k such that a = kb

"a ∝ b" and "a ∝ c" imply a = bk and a = jc for some nonzero k, j in R, respectively.
    Then bc = (a/k)(a/j) = a2/(kj) and so a2 = (kj)bc, where (kj) is the product of two arbitrary constants in R and is thus itself an arbitrary constant in R. Therefore a2 ∝ bc.

EDIT 2: And in fact, a = bc would imply that a2 = (kj)bc = (kj)a, implying a = kj = constant. But a is a variable!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. Jun 29, 2011 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This may be a quibble, but a=b x c means a ~ b where c is constant and a ~ c where b is constant.

5. Jun 30, 2011 #4
    Hmm. Is there no way to prove that "k = c" and "j = b" though?

6. Jul 10, 2011 #5
    I've been thinking about this and somehow it managed to clear things up a lot haha. Thank you.

But now there's something bothering me about this description; if you hold one variable constant, how can you say that that same variable is the constant of proportionality?

Looking at this now, this seems more of a general science question than it is a math question...

EDIT: What I mean is that given this description of what proportionality statements signify about dependent and independent/constant variables, do we just ASSIGN the constant variables to constants of proportionalities?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  7. Aug 12, 2012 #6
    Yes, sorry, I should have included that as well.

Here's something I found though that explains the procedure a bit better (page 243, #389). What I don't understand though is why the two cases are taken consecutively (ie. the author goes from [itex]\frac{A}{a'}[/itex] to [itex]\frac{a'}{a}[/itex]). Is this the only way to reason this without paying attention to what the proportionality constants are dependent on?

8. Aug 12, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Saying "a ∝ b" means a= kb (k constant) all other factors held constant. saying "a ∝ c" means a= hc (h constant) all other factors held contstant. That tells you that the "k" in a= kb includes c as a factor (which is being held constant) and that the "h" in a= hc includes b as a factor (which is being held contstant). The two together tell you that a= jbc where j is a constant (as long as all other factors are held constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook