Come help me determine how bad I choked on my modern physics test>_<

In summary, the speaker struggled with understanding the concept of finding the most probable radial distance of an electron from the nucleus in a H atom in the 4f state. They attempted to use the radial wave equation and solve for r, but were unsure of their approach. They also had trouble determining the possible orbital angular momentum values for an atom with an electron in the 3d state that absorbs a photon and is excited to the n=6 state. They were unsure if the selective transition concept applied and were only able to find the value for l, not L. Overall, they feel they did not do too bad on the questions, but were still uncertain about their answers.
schattenjaeger
Well, I guess I didn't do that bad, but we'll see. I'll try and remember the questions of ones that gave me trouble

First and foremost, what's the most probable radial distance of an electron from the nucleus in a H atom in the 4f state? I was given R(r)

I just plain wasn't sure how to do this, so I basically did a bunch of stupid stuff, like I plugged that function for R into the radial wave equation thingy(that long 1/r^2 d/dr(r^2dR/dr)... and all that, then I tried to solve for r, well whatever it was it was dumb I think

then let's see, if an atom with an electron in the, um, 3d state I think, absorbs a photon that excites it to the n=6 state, what are the possible orbital angular momentum values? For starters I only found l, not L, oops, but as is does that selective transition stuff apply when you ABSORB a photon? So it could only be l=3 or l=1? Maybe?

That's really all I wasn't sure on I guess, so I didn't do too bad. Hopefully. *knocks on wood

Physics news on Phys.org
schattenjaeger said:
First and foremost, what's the most probable radial distance of an electron from the nucleus in a H atom in the 4f state? I was given R(r)
I just plain wasn't sure how to do this, so I basically did a bunch of stupid stuff, like I plugged that function for R into the radial wave equation thingy(that long 1/r^2 d/dr(r^2dR/dr)... and all that, then I tried to solve for r, well whatever it was it was dumb I think
The probability density when you are given the radial wavefunction [tex] R(r) [/tex] is [tex] P(r) = r^2 R(r)*R(r) [/tex]. So the most probable distance is when [tex] \frac {dP(r)}{dr} = 0 [/tex]. Solve for that when the solution is for maximum value. How did you get 1/r^2 d/dr(r^2dR/dr)?

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of "choking" in terms of a test?

In this context, "choking" refers to performing poorly on a test despite having a strong understanding of the material.

2. What are the consequences of choking on a test?

The consequences can vary depending on the specific test and situation, but it can result in a lower grade or a missed opportunity to demonstrate knowledge and skills.

3. How can someone determine if they have choked on a test?

This can be determined by comparing your performance on the test to your expectations and previous performance on similar tests.

4. What factors can contribute to choking on a test?

Factors such as test anxiety, lack of preparation, distractions during the test, and difficulty with the material can all contribute to choking on a test.

5. How can someone prevent or overcome choking on a test?

To prevent choking, it is important to prepare thoroughly and manage test anxiety. To overcome choking during a test, take deep breaths, focus on the task at hand, and use strategies such as skipping difficult questions and coming back to them later.