Coming in late in the game, or should I stay out

• Thread starter Phenylflux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the individual is worried about their criminal record affecting their chances of being accepted into a college or university to pursue a science education. They have made some bad choices in the past and are wondering if they are wasting their time and if acceptance is based solely on their ability and work. It is suggested to apply to programs they are interested in and to be upfront about their record, as well as seeking legal advice before submitting applications. They may not be able to work in certain places that require security clearances, but can still learn and find employment opportunities. It is also advised to apply to a variety of places due to potential liability issues and preference for applicants without a criminal record.
Phenylflux
I have always wanted to get a college education in physics or quantumn mechanics or the like. I have been through the navy nuke program and I am intelligent. What holds me back is that I have made some bad choices and have a record now. I am wondering if I am wasting my time wanting to get an education because i fear that I will not be accepted. Is this a reasonable fear, or is acceptance based on your ability and work and not your legal record?

Physics news on Phys.org
Phenylflux said:
I have always wanted to get a college education in physics or quantumn mechanics or the like. I have been through the navy nuke program and I am intelligent. What holds me back is that I have made some bad choices and have a record now. I am wondering if I am wasting my time wanting to get an education because i fear that I will not be accepted. Is this a reasonable fear, or is acceptance based on your ability and work and not your legal record?

I don't think it really matters. A science education whether formal through an academic institution or self-taught is a reward unto itself. What's the alternative, not learning science and going back to the "hood?" That option will always be there. Why not give academia a shot first. The obvious answer to your question is to find a program you like and then ask admissions (anonymously over the phone, of course:smile:) if your past is going to be a problem. And go from there.

All the jobs I applied for in industry and academia required background checks, and many required security clearances. It might indeed end up being a problem, especially if you're not legally allowed to work in schools or hospitals.

I've never had to submit to a background check to register for classes at any stage of my education (community college, university or grad school). You will be denied some federal student aid if its a drug offence (but not if its murder of course... :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
I seem to remember somebody saying here that when they applied to a college or university, they had to check a box indicating whether they had a criminal record, and then provide a brief explanation if the answer was "yes." If that's the case, it will be far worse to check "no" and they later find out about your record, than to check "yes" and be upfront about it.

It's been so long since I applied to a university or for a job that I don't remember whether I had to do this.

As previously noted, certain jobs require security clearances. I was once visited by an FBI agent checking up on a former student who had applied for a job at a government defense lab. Some kinds jobs are probably not available to convicted sex offenders. Etc.

jtbell said:
I seem to remember somebody saying here that when they applied to a college or university, they had to check a box indicating whether they had a criminal record, and then provide a brief explanation if the answer was "yes." If that's the case, it will be far worse to check "no" and they later find out about your record, than to check "yes" and be upfront about it.

Many college apps have a checkbox asking if you have been convicted of a criminal act. If you answer yes, they ask you to explain the circumstances and essentially write a short essay about what you learned from it.

Phenylflux said:

There's an old saying "nothing beats a failure like a try" or something like that. I say if you really would like to do it. Apply and give it your all. Carefully consider your application essays and for your own protection, have an attorney look it over before you turn it in. Also be realistic with your goals, you may not be able to work for places which require a high security clearance, but you can learn things you would like to learn and I'm sure if you do well, you can find a decent job somewhere.

I know all about security clearances, had one before. What I have on my record is possession of a controlled substance penalty group one less than one gram (state jail felony in Texas). I also have a couple of class c misdemeanors. I got in trouble in the navy and got an other than honorable discharge with a rec 4. I lost my seiop (clearance then). Finally got clean (well, reasonably-I'm on a maintenance program have been for two years). Trying to move on with my life and get back to what really matters which in my mind is the advancement of my own knowledge.

I don't think asking us will make much difference. You just have to apply to many more places, with the understanding that many will not want you on their campus after an OTH discharge and several convictions. There are liability issues, and in addition, it's not unreasonable for them to prefer applicants without your baggage. So you need to cast a wider net than you would otherwise.

1. What does "coming in late in the game" mean?

"Coming in late in the game" refers to joining or starting something after it has already begun or progressed significantly. It can also refer to entering a competitive situation or market when others have already established themselves.

2. Should I come in late in the game or stay out?

The decision to come in late in the game or stay out depends on several factors, such as the specific situation, your goals, and the potential risks and benefits. It is important to carefully assess these factors before making a decision.

3. What are the potential advantages of coming in late in the game?

Coming in late in the game can provide the opportunity to learn from others who have already made progress, avoid initial mistakes, and potentially enter at a lower cost. It can also allow for a more targeted approach based on existing information and data.

4. What are the potential disadvantages of coming in late in the game?

One potential disadvantage of coming in late in the game is the risk of being at a competitive disadvantage compared to those who have been involved from the beginning. There may also be a higher cost of entry and a lack of control over established systems or processes.

5. How can I determine if it is better to come in late in the game or stay out?

The best approach is to thoroughly research and analyze the situation, including the current status, potential risks and benefits, and your own goals and resources. Consulting with experts and seeking advice from those who have experience in the field can also help inform your decision.