Common Cold Virus Suppresses COVID-19

In summary, a recent study found that the common cold virus, HRV, may help fight against Covid-19 by suppressing the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in respiratory cells. Further experiments also suggest that viral interference may be occurring, where seasonal infections take turns infecting the population. With current social distancing measures, there has been a decrease in the spread of not only Covid-19 but also the flu and common cold.
Tom.G
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'll trade a cold for Covid-19 any time!

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/a-common-cold-virus-may-help-fight-covid-19

To find out, the researchers infected cultures of human respiratory cells in the lab with either SARS-CoV-2, an HRV, or both viruses at the same time.

The cultures closely mimicked the outer layer of cells, called the epithelium, that lines the airways of the lungs.

SARS-CoV-2 steadily multiplied in the cells that the team had infected with this virus alone. However, in cells also infected with HRV, the number of SARS-CoV-2 virus particles declined rapidly until they were undetectable just 48 hours after the initial infection.

In further experiments, the scientists found that HRV suppressed the replication of SARS-CoV-2, regardless of which virus infected the cells first.

Cheers,
Tom

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes dlgoff, bhobba, berkeman and 2 others
Biology news on Phys.org
Well. I do understand the excitement, but with already observing the drift of the Sars-CoV-2, I'm not really sure we should force events which may result in a shift :nb)

Likes bhobba
This might be an early indicator of the rather strange phenomena of viral interference, it seems like most seasonal infections take turns at infecting the population rather than occurring together. It seems that the effects of a viral infection causes changes in the internal environment that effectively inhibits other viruses causing infection at the same time.
https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/212/11/1690/2911897

Tom.G said:
I'll trade a cold for Covid-19 any time!
With all the distancing, there's no flu going around. I guess it's the same with colds.

Likes pinball1970
Somebody just made a joke out of the topic. :oldgrumpy:

1. What is the "common cold virus"?

The common cold virus, also known as the rhinovirus, is a type of virus that causes symptoms such as a runny nose, sore throat, and cough. It is one of the most common viruses that can infect humans and is responsible for a large number of colds each year.

2. How does the common cold virus suppress COVID-19?

Recent studies have shown that the common cold virus can suppress the replication of the COVID-19 virus in the body. This is because the common cold virus activates the body's immune response, which can also fight against other viruses such as COVID-19.

3. Is there a connection between the common cold and COVID-19?

Both the common cold and COVID-19 are caused by viruses and can have similar symptoms. However, COVID-19 is caused by a different virus (SARS-CoV-2) and is more severe than the common cold. The connection between the two is that the common cold virus may provide some protection against COVID-19.

4. Can the common cold virus be used as a treatment for COVID-19?

While the common cold virus may offer some protection against COVID-19, it is not a recommended treatment for the virus. More research is needed to fully understand the potential benefits and risks of using the common cold virus as a treatment for COVID-19.

5. Should I be worried about getting the common cold if it can suppress COVID-19?

The common cold virus may offer some protection against COVID-19, but it is not a guarantee. It is still important to take precautions to prevent the spread of both viruses, such as washing your hands regularly, wearing a mask, and practicing social distancing.