Common miscons (e.g. it exploded from a singularity) &why to check FAQ

In summary: The steady state model is a continuously expanding universe while a static universe would remain the same size. In summary, the conversation discusses common misconceptions about the universe, including the notion of a singularity, time stopping inside an event horizon, the universe having an edge, and the relationship between the Hubble red shift and the big bang theory. It also mentions various models, such as the steady state and quantum cosmology models, and highlights the importance of understanding the concept of "nothing" in physics. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the need for further research and discussion in order to fully understand the complexities of the universe.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
This is an idea for a thread. Might work or might not. Each post here should address a common misconception in 25 words or less.

You don't have to restate the common misconception, just respond to it. I think we're all familiar with the main ones that keep coming up. Your post (if you contribute one) could motivate a puzzled newcomer to consult the FAQ for lengthier discussion.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
A singularity is not thought of as a real thing in nature

Singularity means glitch or breakdown in a math theory. Not a thing in nature.
A symptom that the equations need fixing.

No evidence that time stops if you go back to start of expansion. Depends on which model. In some, it continues on back before expansion.

The currently observable portion of the universe is not the same as the universe ( the whole thing, which might be infinite, or might not.) Consult FAQ.

No reason to think universe surrounded by empty space. It doesn't need empty space to expand into. No reason to imagine an edge. Consult FAQ.

Universe may have been infinite at start of expansion. If finite size we don't yet have an estimate. AFAWK expansion isn't outwards from a point.

Time does not stop inside an event horizon. To an outside observer it does but not for an observer inside it moves normally

Last edited:
hawkings radiation occurs outside an EH and is not faster than light

marcus said:
No evidence that time stops if you go back to start of expansion. Depends on which model. In some, it continues on back before expansion.
Which models? Please mention some names.

marcus said:
aleemudasir said:
Which models? Please mention some names.

All of the first 50 papers on this keyword search list of research literature are about that kind of model:
http://inspirehep.net/search?ln=en&...2y=2013&sf=&so=a&rm=citation&rg=50&sc=0&of=hb

Probably the majority of the 400 or so other papers are too, but I didn't scan the list beyond the first 100. Research with models that match the observation data as well as the classic model but go back further in time has gotten very active. These are paper just since 2009.

We need a convention that if you have a question or want to discuss you start a new thread so this one can stay focused.

Last edited:
Hubble red shift relationship did not prove the big bang. Hoyle's model was developed after Hubbles's observaitons and was compatible with it. If I had to pick one obervation that showed the big bang (phase not singulatiry) then I would not pick Hubble. I think I would pick the fact the CMb is a near perfect balck body. If COBe had found it was not a black body that might have really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons.

If the universe started out, or was ever at a finite size, then it must be of a finite size forever, yes?

justwondering said:
If the universe started out, or was ever at a finite size, then it must be of a finite size forever, yes?

yes a finite cannot become infinite.

back to misconceptions. The word nothing has special meaning in physics. Quantum effects occur in regions often described as "nothing".

skydivephil said:
Hubble red shift relationship did not prove the big bang. Hoyle's model was developed after Hubbles's observaitons and was compatible with it. If I had to pick one obervation that showed the big bang (phase not singulatiry) then I would not pick Hubble. I think I would pick the fact the CMb is a near perfect balck body. If COBe had found it was not a black body that might have really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons.

To add a related one-liner:

"The steady state universe model isn't the same thing as a static universe"

sheaf said:
To add a related one-liner:

"The steady state universe model isn't the same thing as a static universe"

Yes I think that's a nice way to sum it up.

What is a common misconception about scientific phenomena?

A common misconception about scientific phenomena is that they are always easily explained and understood. In reality, science is a constantly evolving field and there are often multiple theories and explanations for a single phenomenon.

Why should I check the FAQ for scientific information?

Checking the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) for scientific information can help you quickly find answers to common questions and avoid falling for false information or misconceptions. It is also a great starting point for further research on a topic.

What should I do if I come across a scientific claim that seems too good to be true?

If you come across a scientific claim that seems too good to be true, it is important to critically evaluate the evidence and sources behind the claim. Look for peer-reviewed studies and reputable sources to support the claim before accepting it as fact.

How can I avoid falling for scientific misconceptions?

To avoid falling for scientific misconceptions, it is important to stay informed and up-to-date on current scientific research and theories. Additionally, always question and critically evaluate information before accepting it as fact.

Why is it important to have a basic understanding of science?

Having a basic understanding of science is important because it helps us make informed decisions and think critically about the world around us. It also allows us to better understand and appreciate the natural phenomena and advancements in technology that shape our daily lives.