Commonly quoted PF article required.

• B
  • Thread starter houlahound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    article
In summary: No, as in Quantum Mechanics: A Very Short Introduction by John Polkinghorne.In summary, the author lost all his download articles.
houlahound
I lost all my download articles.

One article that has been attached a lot is a QM momentum analysis of a free wave on two slits.

It is a great highly readable article for non professionals.

I am thinking Bill or Peter Donis quote it a lot.

Please, please help me get this article back.

I can't remember author.

Free steak knife for first to link it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be in there somewhere, the article was a single PDF from arix.

Showed how QM produced the double slit pattern with momentum eigenfunctions.

Raised to two steak knives.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is def the topic and looks like a great paper but not the specific one, I will keep it tho.

Thanks.

Is it the one by Marcella?

Attachments

• Marcella T- Quantum Interference with slits.pdf
    192 KB · Views: 315
Likes houlahound and bhobba
dextercioby said:
Is it the one by Marcella?

By golly that's it,

Thank you.

And now eerr about those steak knives...how can I say this.

Argh, and you were so lucky to loose it! :wink:

vanhees71 said:
Argh, and you were so lucky to loose it! :wink:

Why, you don't like the paper??

I think it is a good step between undergraduate level and the main literature.

Well, they don't explain the handling of momentum- and position "eigenfunctions", and particularly in scattering theory (and the double-slit experiment is mathematically a scattering problem) that's the key issue to understand. Momentum and position "eigenfunctions" do NOT represent quantum states of a particle!

I rather recommend to first read the treatment in

A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics Vol. 4 (Optics)

There it's treated correctly. The very same mathematics applies to Schrödinger's equation.

Alternatively you can also have a look at the path-integral treatment in Feynman&Hibbs. That's a case, where the path-integral method is really elegant.

Likes houlahound
Do you have any links please.

The links are the books I mentioned!

Cheers, I was chasing free stuff, I did read a few excerpts. Books are so expensive not many by them without reading them on line first IMO.

houlahound said:
I was chasing free stuff
As in steak knife?

Likes houlahound

1. What is a "Commonly quoted PF article"?

A "Commonly quoted PF article" refers to a frequently referenced or cited scientific article that has become well-known and is often cited as a source of information or evidence in various discussions, debates, or research studies.

2. Why is it important to have a commonly quoted PF article in a scientific field?

Having a commonly quoted PF article in a scientific field can provide a strong foundation for further research and can help establish a common understanding or knowledge base among scientists. It can also serve as a benchmark for future studies and can contribute to the advancement of the field.

3. How is a commonly quoted PF article chosen or identified?

There is no specific criteria for choosing or identifying a commonly quoted PF article. It often depends on the impact and importance of the research findings, the credibility and reputation of the authors, and the relevance and significance of the topic to the scientific community.

4. Can a commonly quoted PF article become outdated?

Yes, a commonly quoted PF article can become outdated as new research and advancements are made in the field. This is why it is important for scientists to continue to conduct and publish research, and for readers to critically evaluate the relevance and validity of any information they come across.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to relying on a commonly quoted PF article?

While commonly quoted PF articles can provide a strong foundation for research, they can also be subject to bias and may not represent the entire body of research on a topic. It is important for scientists to consider a variety of sources and perspectives when conducting research, rather than relying solely on one commonly quoted article.