Wanting To Get Into That Top School? Read This

• Admissions
  • Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the article discusses the misconception that there is a "recipe" or criteria for getting into highly competitive schools such as MIT, Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. The article points out that merit alone does not guarantee admission, as evidenced by the rejection of students with perfect SAT scores and valedictorians. The article also mentions the role of legacy admissions and the advantages of being from a wealthy family. The conversation among the participants delves into the definition of a "top school" in the US context, with varying opinions on the inclusion of public schools and smaller specialized schools like Harvey Mudd College.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I forgot about this article that I read a while back, and finally remembered it today.

We often get questions on here on how to get into MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc... etc... all those highly competitive schools. People seem to think that there is a "recipe" or criteria, that if they have stellar grades, graduate top of their class, etc., then they can get an admission into such schools.

Unfortunately, as this article points out, merit along does not get you into such schools. It is written by Natasha Warikoo of Harvard. While this is an opinion piece by her, and she's not representing any of these schools, her experience and analysis of many of the reports and sources she links to led me to believe that she knows a lot more than many of us here on the reality of admission to these schools.

Separately, Harvard undergraduates have recently begun to take advantage of their right to view their own admissions files, often only to become frustrated in their efforts to pinpoint exactly why they got admitted.

The inquiries of the Department of Justice and the curious Harvard students have something in common: Both are unlikely to turn up any evidence of why some applicants make the cut and others don’t. That’s because both inquiries rest on the faulty assumption that admissions decisions are driven by an objective, measurable process that will yield the same results over and over again. As a Harvard professor who has studied and written a book about college admissions and their impact on students, I can tell you that’s just not how it works. I am not speaking officially for Harvard and I am not involved in undergraduate admissions.

I can't think of anything better to answer the frequent question of: "Hi, can I get admission into... ?"

Zz.

Likes opus
Physics news on Phys.org
"Harvard rejects 1 in 4 students with perfect SAT scores. The University of Pennsylvania and Duke University reject three out of five high school valedictorians."
And interesting but unsuprising chunk here as well.

That 'article' is decidedly not about schools like MIT and Caltech. It is about Ivies and their ilk.

The valedicatorian bit seems like a red herring -- why would you expect that many valedictorians to be admitted when you don't control for school size (e.g. 10 schools of 400 kids vs 1 school of 4,000 and perhaps the top 10 students at said school) or SAT scores which are standardized.

It was also curiously quiet on the role of legacy admissions and having well connected parents.

for example:

But legacy admissions, which give preferential treatment to family members of alumni, exacerbate the imbalance. Of Harvard’s most recently admitted class, 27% of students had a relative who also attended. There’s evidence that this system favours the already wealthy. MIT and the California Institute of Technology, two elite schools with no legacy preferences, have much fewer students who hail from the ranks of the super-rich.

https://www.economist.com/news/unit...emains-unsettlingly-hereditary-skipping-class

(Unfortunately The Economist article is a touch sloppy in loosely equating 1 percent with super rich... a more numerate take would look at 1 percent of 1 percent -- or 1 basis point-- but I digress.)

StoneTemplePython said:
That 'article' is decidedly not about schools like MIT and Caltech. It is about Ivies and their ilk.

Do you expect the situation at MIT, Caltech, Stanford, etc. to be significantly different? I do not see how.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Do you expect the situation at MIT, Caltech, Stanford, etc. to be significantly different? I do not see how.

Zz.
Significantly different at MIT and Caltech, absolutely. Not any easier.

As indicated in the quote I dropped in, you do have a different admissions criteria at MIT and Caltech. They are blind merit based admissions -- and you can see very different demographics of students getting in. Brutally difficult to get into MIT and Caltech -- but the filter is a different kind of brutal.

(I lump Stanford in with Harvard)

So like 40 wonderful geniuses, and only 3 slots open...

Eenie Meenie Minee Mo...

Here is a question I want to pose to all of you. In the US context, what would be considered a "top school" for undergraduate studies?

It is generally agreed that Ivy League schools like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc., as well as certain other schools like MIT or Stanford are considered "top schools". But what about some of the highly-regarded public schools (e.g. UC Berkeley, University of Michigan, etc.) or schools like Purdue or NYU? What about a school like Harvey Mudd College?

I think the context here is "ivy league", which doesn't necessarily mean better than some state schools. Some state schools, such as UCLA, UC Berkley, UC Boulder, University of Washington, University of Michigan, are held in high regard for different STEM departments and would absolutely be considered "top schools" to myself or anyone I know of.

StatGuy2000 said:
Here is a question I want to pose to all of you. In the US context, what would be considered a "top school" for undergraduate studies?

It is generally agreed that Ivy League schools like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc., as well as certain other schools like MIT or Stanford are considered "top schools". But what about some of the highly-regarded public schools (e.g. UC Berkeley, University of Michigan, etc.) or schools like Purdue or NYU? What about a school like Harvey Mudd College?

If the Harvards, Yales, Princetons, Stanfords, MITs, CalTechs and the like could be graded on a 10 point scale to be 9's and 10's, the schools you mentioned would probably be somewhere between a 6 and an 8; this is me being simplistic though.

1. What can I do to increase my chances of getting into a top school?

There are several things you can do to increase your chances of getting into a top school. First, make sure you have a strong academic record with challenging courses and good grades. Second, participate in extracurricular activities that showcase your passions and talents. Third, invest time in studying for standardized tests and aim for high scores. Fourth, secure strong letters of recommendation from teachers, mentors, or employers. Finally, put effort into your application essays and make sure they reflect your unique qualities and aspirations.

2. Is it necessary to have perfect grades and test scores to get into a top school?

While having perfect grades and test scores can certainly increase your chances of getting into a top school, they are not the only determining factors. Admissions committees also consider your extracurricular activities, essays, letters of recommendation, and personal qualities. It is important to strive for excellence in all areas, but having perfect grades and test scores is not a requirement for admission.

3. How important are extracurricular activities in the admissions process for top schools?

Extracurricular activities are an important factor in the admissions process for top schools. They show admissions committees your interests, passions, and skills outside of the classroom. However, it is important to note that quality is more important than quantity. Admissions committees are looking for depth and commitment in your extracurricular activities rather than a long list of superficial involvements.

4. Can I still get into a top school if I don't have a strong academic record?

Having a strong academic record is definitely a plus when applying to top schools, but it is not the only determining factor. If your academic record is not as strong as you would like, focus on excelling in other areas such as extracurricular activities, standardized test scores, and personal qualities. You can also consider taking additional courses or seeking academic support to improve your academic record.

5. Are there any specific things top schools look for in applicants?

While every top school has its own unique criteria for admissions, there are some common qualities that they tend to look for in applicants. These include academic excellence, strong extracurricular involvement, leadership experience, diversity, and a well-rounded personality. It is important to research the specific requirements and values of the schools you are applying to and showcase these qualities in your application.