Communicating Vessels- how? (searched forum, didn't find it before)

• Thread starter Bonaparte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two containers with a straight passage between them. The right container has double the radius and more mass, causing a question about whether it would push the water in the passage with more force and create a circular motion. The solution suggests that the equilibrium condition is when the forces from both vessels are equal and opposite, resulting in no movement in the connection.
Bonaparte

Homework Statement

I don't know much about physics, I'm using-
F=m*a

Homework Equations

So say we got our 2 containers with a straight passage between them (they're cylinders for the sake of the question), and the right one has double the radius.

So I'm assuming there are 2 forces pushing each other (in the passage), one from the weight of the right container, and one from the left.

The right one has more mass (assuming they've got equal height of water which is basically what communicating vessels say). Wouldn't it be "pushing" the water in the passage with more force?

If it does, does it cause a circular motion of water on the other side? Otherwise why doesn't it rise?

The Attempt at a Solution

As stated above I'm proposing the motion of water moving in a circular motion on the left container.

As a side note, might be negating myself, but when I'm water pushes down other water (say in the right container, water is pressing the water under it, which is next to the passage), does it push the water to the sides?

Thanks in advance.
http://assets.overclock.net.s3.amazonaws.com/1/17/1721d4ed_vbattach152018.png here's a picture to help understand my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me check: Under 1) problem, there is no problem but a statement. Under 2) relevant equations there is a partial problem statement and a question and under 3) there is a proposal and a question.

Suppose I want to help, what can you do to help me help you (except: get organized and use the template properly) ?

Hello and thanks for the response, seems I can't edit the post.
The question is in the title, I don't know any equations other than the one given, you'll have to forgive it being in the wrong place.

My proposal does not include a question, it's a proposal that is phrased as one.
Cheers.

PF allows you do do a little editing for a while, then it fixates. You can add stuff in subsequent posts, though.

So the question is more or less: what is the equilibrium condition if two vessels are connected by some means.
Well, equilibrium means the water in the connection isn't moving. Water moves under pressure difference. The weight in the right vessel is bigger than in the left, but the bottom area is also bigger. So the force (mg) per area is the same (if the liquids are at he same levels). Pressure is only dependent on how deep you are. 0.5 m deep in the ocean is not different from 0.5 m deep in your bath (with some bath salt ;-) )

That means that in de connection the forces from left and right vessel are equal and opposite: they cancel and ##\sum F=0##: no movement

I would like to clarify that the concept of communicating vessels refers to the equalization of fluid levels in connected containers. This is due to the pressure exerted by the weight of the fluid in each container.

In the case of two containers with a straight passage between them, the right container with a larger radius will have a greater mass and therefore exert a greater downward force on the fluid in the passage. This will cause the fluid in the passage to move towards the left container, but it will not necessarily create a circular motion. The movement of the fluid will depend on the dimensions and shape of the containers, as well as the speed at which the fluid is flowing.

In terms of the water pushing down on other water, it is important to note that fluids exert pressure in all directions, not just downwards. So, the water in the right container will not only push down on the water beneath it, but also push outwards on the water around it. This is why the fluid levels will equalize in the connected containers, as the pressure from the water in the passage will push the water in the left container upwards.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of communicating vessels. It is important to remember that this is a simplified model and there are many other factors that can affect the movement of fluids in real-life situations.

1. How do communicating vessels work?

Communicating vessels work by utilizing the principles of fluid dynamics, specifically the laws of pressure and continuity. When two vessels are connected at the bottom by a narrow tube or passage, the liquid in both vessels will reach the same level due to the equalization of pressure. This allows for the transfer of liquid between the vessels.

2. What is the purpose of communicating vessels?

The purpose of communicating vessels is to facilitate the transfer of liquid between two containers. This can be useful in a variety of applications, such as in chemistry experiments, irrigation systems, and plumbing systems.

3. How does the size of the vessels affect the flow of liquid in communicating vessels?

The size of the vessels does not affect the flow of liquid in communicating vessels. As long as the vessels are connected at the bottom by a narrow passage, the liquid will reach the same level in both vessels regardless of their size.

4. Can different types of liquids be used in communicating vessels?

Yes, different types of liquids can be used in communicating vessels as long as they have the same density. This is because the laws of pressure and continuity apply to all liquids, regardless of their composition.

5. Are there any limitations to communicating vessels?

One limitation of communicating vessels is that they rely on the equalization of pressure to transfer liquid between containers. This means that they are not suitable for transferring liquids with significantly different densities, as the pressure may not equalize and the liquid may not flow properly.