Commutativity and Associativity of Jordan Product

  • Thread starter Thread starter keemosabi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Product Properties
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
keemosabi
Messages
109
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A and B are n x n matrices, so their Jordan Product is (AB + BA)/2. Show that this product is commutative but not associative.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I understand the logic behind the answer, but I don't know how to show it. Where would I start?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
/edit: deleted answer.

For associativity, just write out A*B and B*A and expand. For commutivity, write out A*(B*C) and (A*B)*C, and if what you get when you expand the two things is not the same, then you have shown what you wanted.
 
Last edited:
JeSuisConf said:
/edit: deleted answer.

For associativity, just write out A*B and B*A and expand. For commutivity, write out A*(B*C) and (A*B)*C, and if what you get when you expand the two things is not the same, then you have shown what you wanted.
Thank you so much for the help. I figured out this question and the other Jordan Product questions from your advice.