1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator with r, p_r and angular momentum

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    Hi, guys..This is my first time to post. and I gotta aplogize for my bad English..I`m a novice..;;

anyway..here`s my curiosity..

From Paul Dirac`s Principles of Quantum Mechanics..p.153
    (section of Motion in a central field of force)

It says that

The angular momentum L of the ptl about the orgin ..and its magnitude L^2 commute with r and p_r since they are scalars...

It`s not hard to verify that [L, r] = [L, p_r] = 0

(L_x=x*p_y-y*p_x, r=(x^2+y^2+z^2)^(1/2) etc.)

But I just wanna understand the underlying physics..

commutator(Quantum Poisson`s Bracket) with L zero?

Are they concerned with conservation of angular momentum? or else?

:)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

L^2 is a Casimir operator for the Lie algebra of angular momentum. It just means that r and p_r are \phi independent, and \phi is the canonically conjugate variable of angular momentum.

4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    I don`t have any idea what Casimir operator is..

But canonically conjugate variable of angular momentum phi is surely indep. of p_r, r

thx a lot!

5. Sep 26, 2007 #4

Operators of angular momentum [itex] (L_x, L_y, L_z) [/itex] play the role of generators of rotations (actually, this property can be used as a definition of [itex] \mathbf{L} [/itex]). This means that if [itex] r [/itex] is distance measured in the reference frame O, then

[tex] r' = \exp(\frac{i}{\hbar} L_x \phi )r \exp(-\frac{i}{\hbar} L_x \phi ) [/tex].....(1)

is the distance in the reference frame O' that is rotated with respect to O by the angle [itex] \phi [/itex] around the x-axis. Since [itex] r [/itex] is a scalar, it is invariant with respect to rotations ([itex] r'=r [/itex]). Then, by Taylor expanding exponents in the right hand side of (1) one can show that this invariance is equivalent to the vanishing commutator

[tex] [L_x, r] = 0 [/itex]

Commutators are closely related to inertial transformations in other examples as well. For example, the Hamiltonian is the generator of time translations, i.e., for any operator [itex] F [/itex] its time dependence is given by

[tex] F(t) = \exp(-\frac{i}{\hbar} Ht )F\exp(\frac{i}{\hbar} Ht ) [/tex]

and [itex] F [/itex] does not depend on time if and only if [itex] F [/itex] commutes with the Hamiltonian.

Eugene.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?