Commutator with r, p_r and angular momentum

In summary, we discussed the concept of angular momentum in the context of quantum mechanics and how it relates to the operators of rotation and translation. We also explored the commutator relationships between these operators and how they are related to the concept of invariance under transformations.
omyojj
Hi, guys..This is my first time to post. and I got to aplogize for my bad English..I`m a novice..;;

anyway..here`s my curiosity..

From Paul Dirac`s Principles of Quantum Mechanics..p.153
(section of Motion in a central field of force)

It says that

The angular momentum L of the ptl about the orgin ..and its magnitude L^2 commute with r and p_r since they are scalars...

It`s not hard to verify that [L, r] = [L, p_r] = 0

(L_x=x*p_y-y*p_x, r=(x^2+y^2+z^2)^(1/2) etc.)

But I just want to understand the underlying physics..

commutator(Quantum Poisson`s Bracket) with L zero?

Are they concerned with conservation of angular momentum? or else?

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
L^2 is a Casimir operator for the Lie algebra of angular momentum. It just means that r and p_r are \phi independent, and \phi is the canonically conjugate variable of angular momentum.

I don`t have any idea what Casimir operator is..

But canonically conjugate variable of angular momentum phi is surely indep. of p_r, r

thx a lot!

omyojj said:
The angular momentum L of the ptl about the orgin ..and its magnitude L^2 commute with r and p_r since they are scalars...

It`s not hard to verify that [L, r] = [L, p_r] = 0

(L_x=x*p_y-y*p_x, r=(x^2+y^2+z^2)^(1/2) etc.)

But I just want to understand the underlying physics..

Operators of angular momentum [itex] (L_x, L_y, L_z) [/itex] play the role of generators of rotations (actually, this property can be used as a definition of [itex] \mathbf{L} [/itex]). This means that if [itex] r [/itex] is distance measured in the reference frame O, then

[tex] r' = \exp(\frac{i}{\hbar} L_x \phi )r \exp(-\frac{i}{\hbar} L_x \phi ) [/tex]...(1)

is the distance in the reference frame O' that is rotated with respect to O by the angle [itex] \phi [/itex] around the x-axis. Since [itex] r [/itex] is a scalar, it is invariant with respect to rotations ([itex] r'=r [/itex]). Then, by Taylor expanding exponents in the right hand side of (1) one can show that this invariance is equivalent to the vanishing commutator

[tex] [L_x, r] = 0 [/itex]

Commutators are closely related to inertial transformations in other examples as well. For example, the Hamiltonian is the generator of time translations, i.e., for any operator [itex] F [/itex] its time dependence is given by

[tex] F(t) = \exp(-\frac{i}{\hbar} Ht )F\exp(\frac{i}{\hbar} Ht ) [/tex]

and [itex] F [/itex] does not depend on time if and only if [itex] F [/itex] commutes with the Hamiltonian.

Eugene.

Last edited:

1. What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that measures the non-commutativity (or lack of commutativity) between two quantities. In other words, it measures how the order in which two quantities are multiplied affects the final result.

2. How does the commutator relate to angular momentum?

The commutator with r, p_r, and angular momentum is a mathematical expression that represents the non-commutativity between the position, radial momentum, and angular momentum of a particle in motion. It is used in quantum mechanics to describe the uncertainty in these quantities.

3. What is the significance of the commutator in quantum mechanics?

The commutator is an important tool in quantum mechanics because it allows us to calculate the uncertainty in the measurement of different quantities, such as position and momentum, for a particle. It also helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

4. Can the commutator be used for any two quantities?

No, the commutator is only defined for certain pairs of quantities that do not commute. This means that the order in which these quantities are multiplied affects the final result. For example, position and momentum do not commute, but position and velocity do.

5. How is the commutator calculated?

The commutator is calculated using the mathematical formula [A, B] = AB - BA, where A and B are the two quantities being considered. This is a general formula, but in the case of the commutator with r, p_r, and angular momentum, the specific expressions for these quantities are used in the calculation.