Comparing Absolute Deviation to Mean Absolute Deviation

• Thread starter Nyasha
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi Guys,

I am trying to measure variability in a part for my sensor which l do not know the true value. So l decided that a good way to measure variability in this case would be to measure precision of my data points as l change this part on the sensor. So l was wondering, can l compare the absolute deviation and mean absolute deviation and calculate the percentage deviation between the two, and then use the percentage deviation as a number which tells me something about variability in this part.

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Your description is not very clear. Please flesh it out more, perhaps with an example.

Your description is not very clear. Please flesh it out more, perhaps with an example.
I calculated 15 absolute deviations and their mean absolute deviation. Would it be valid for me to say my data set is accurate if all the 15 absolute deviations are within ±5% of the mean absolute deviation ?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
No, I meant a much more thorough description of what you are doing. What do you mean by "measuring the precision"? What does this involve? What, arithmetically, do you then do with the observations?

I am doing nuclear counting for medical imaging and l do not know the 'true' estimate of counts for my system. So to see if my system is operating consistently as l change a certain part, l am going to measure its precision. That is, as l change that part, are my number of counts within the same range.