Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparing Absolute Deviation to Mean Absolute Deviation

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    Hi Guys,

I am trying to measure variability in a part for my sensor which l do not know the true value. So l decided that a good way to measure variability in this case would be to measure precision of my data points as l change this part on the sensor. So l was wondering, can l compare the absolute deviation and mean absolute deviation and calculate the percentage deviation between the two, and then use the percentage deviation as a number which tells me something about variability in this part.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your description is not very clear. Please flesh it out more, perhaps with an example.

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    I calculated 15 absolute deviations and their mean absolute deviation. Would it be valid for me to say my data set is accurate if all the 15 absolute deviations are within ±5% of the mean absolute deviation ?

5. Jul 17, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, I meant a much more thorough description of what you are doing. What do you mean by "measuring the precision"? What does this involve? What, arithmetically, do you then do with the observations?

6. Jul 17, 2012 #5
    I am doing nuclear counting for medical imaging and l do not know the 'true' estimate of counts for my system. So to see if my system is operating consistently as l change a certain part, l am going to measure its precision. That is, as l change that part, are my number of counts within the same range.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook