Comparing Energy Conversion Rates of Photons and Solar Panels

  • Thread starter Thread starter DoubleHelix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
DoubleHelix
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Part of my Physics Planning paper says this:
"You are to design laboratory experiments to compare the energy conversion rates of the two systems (one using photons to release electrons in a solar cell and one using a solar panel to heat water), in order to find out which is the more efficient. The energy source should be a standard 150W light bulb connected to the 230V mains.

What does the phrase in bold mean? Surely the bulb wouldn't be connected to the mains, it would be connected to the solar cell which I am testing right? Or am I being totally dense?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you must use the light bulb as a source of energy (light). The light from the light bulb falling on the solar cell will produce power... You can measure this power with whatever means I guess...
 
Ah thanks so much! I assumed I'd be using the Sun as it is called a solar cell but yes it makes more sense to use a light bulb so I know the power of it, it'd be difficult finding the power of the Sun that reaches the surface with all that atmosphere and stuff in the way. I guess I was being totally dense after all. :D