Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compatibilty of the Dirichlet boundary condition

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to solve a Poisson equation [itex]\nabla^2 \phi = f[/itex] in [itex]\Omega[/itex], with Dirichlet boundary condition [itex]\phi = 0[/itex] on [itex]\partial \Omega[/itex]. My problem is that I am trying to understand the condition under which a solution exists. All the text I consulted says that the problem is solvable.

However, I am working on contrived example for which I dont see how a solution is possible, yet I am unable to explain it. Consider a function and its first two derivatives,
    [tex]
    F(x) = -\frac1 4 e^{-2x} (2x + 1) \\
    \frac{dF}{dx} = x e^{-2x} \\
    \frac{d^2F}{dx^2} = e^{-2x} (1-2x)
    [/tex]
    Clearly, [itex]F(x) \neq 0[/itex] for [itex]x = 0,1[/itex]. I am attaching the plots of these functions [itex]F(x)[/itex] in black, [itex]\frac{dF}{dx}[/itex] in red, and [itex]\frac{d^2F}{dx^2}[/itex] in green.

Now, suppose, I solve the Poisson equation said above, with [itex]\nabla^2 \phi = e^{-2x} (1-2x)[/itex] for [itex]0 < x < 1[/itex], I hope to recover [itex]\phi = F[/itex] uniquely upto a harmonic. However, the given that [itex]\phi = 0[/itex] for [itex]x = 0, 1[/itex], I dont see how this can produce a continuous [itex]\phi[/itex], which matches the black curve.

I think this is because the information I pass to the system is corrupt, however, no textbook tells me any requirement on the compatibility between the source function and the boundary condition. Any insights are appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2013 #2

kai_sikorski

Gold Member

You've found a particular solution to the problem, but I think you're forgetting about the two homogenous solutions that you can use to match your boundary conditions.

4. Mar 2, 2013 #3
    Hi !
    Solution in attachment :

Attached Files:

5. Mar 3, 2013 #4
    Thanks both of you.

JJacquelin, I think you used [itex](1-2x)[/itex] instead of [itex](1+2x) [/itex], and therefore calculation of [itex]c_1,c_2[/itex] are wrong. But I got the general idea. Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook