Complete Works of Major Mathematicians (English)

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of finding English translations of the complete works of famous mathematicians such as Cauchy, Lagrange, Euler, Gauss, The Bernoullis, and Riemann. The reason for this is that many high-level academic texts are not republished in other languages, and only a handful of dedicated historians of science find reason to read the originals. However, there may be benefits for common mathematicians in reading the originals, and some of these mathematicians have produced vast amounts of articles. The conversation also mentions a book called "God Created the Integers" that compiles some of these works.
McSketch
I am very interested in reading the original works of some famous mathematicians, such as:

Cauchy
Lagrange
Euler
Gauss
The Bernoullis
Riemann
etc.

I have found the their respective works have been collected in volumes (for example, Cauchy has 27 volumes!) but they are all in their native language. I am an English only speaker :(.

I have tried (in vain) to find English translations of the complete works of these (and other) major mathematicians. If anyone has any idea of how I can find them, or if they even exist - I would greatly appreciate your input!

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try "God Created the Integers", a compilation with a foreword by Hawking.

McSketch said:
I am very interested in reading the original works of some famous mathematicians, such as:

Cauchy
Lagrange
Euler
Gauss
The Bernoullis
Riemann
etc.

I have found the their respective works have been collected in volumes (for example, Cauchy has 27 volumes!) but they are all in their native language. I am an English only speaker :(.

I have tried (in vain) to find English translations of the complete works of these (and other) major mathematicians. If anyone has any idea of how I can find them, or if they even exist - I would greatly appreciate your input!

Thanks!

It's not that many high-level, abstruse academic texts that are re-published in other languages than the original one. (Gauss, Bernoulli and Euler wrote much in Latin, and I think much of their work remain in that shape).

Reason:
The scientific content is (comparatively) swiftly squeezed out of it, and re-presented in other persons' work in their languages.
Thus, only a handful of dedicated historians of science find much reason to read the originals.

arildno said:
Reason:
The scientific content is (comparatively) swiftly squeezed out of it, and re-presented in other persons' work in their languages.
Thus, only a handful of dedicated historians of science find much reason to read the originals.

Still, I believe one could benefit mathematically from reading original works, something for which Mathwonk on this forum is a vocal proponent. So there might be much reason for the common mathematician to be interested in reading them, apart from historical interest.

Some of these mathematicians produced vast amounts of articles however. I think Euler have produced the most, but Riemann much less if I remember correctly what Mathwonk said some time ago.

Last edited:
@Dragonfall
Have it and have read it. It was such a tease! I need more! =)

@arildno
I do agree with you very much - but for example, I can't remember which Bernoulli did work on the catenary - but it is hard to find a very detailed analysis of hanging chains an so forth in modern texts - and I know he wrote much on this topic.

@Jarle
Yes, Euler wrote a vast amount (like 45 quarto volumes IIRC), Cauchy 27 volumes, and Riemann published very little but what he did publish was amazing =).

I suppose it's time to start learning French again ;(

1. Who are considered the major mathematicians included in the complete works?

The complete works of major mathematicians typically include the works of influential figures such as Euclid, Archimedes, Pythagoras, Isaac Newton, and Leonhard Euler. However, the specific list may vary depending on the source or publication.

2. What topics are covered in the complete works?

The complete works of major mathematicians cover a wide range of topics including geometry, algebra, calculus, number theory, and mathematical physics. These works often include groundbreaking theories, formulas, and proofs that have greatly contributed to the development of mathematics as a discipline.

3. Are the complete works translated into English?

Yes, the complete works of major mathematicians are typically translated into English for wider accessibility and understanding. However, the translations may not always be available for all works or may vary in quality depending on the translator.

4. Can the complete works be used for educational purposes?

Yes, the complete works of major mathematicians can be used for educational purposes in both academic and non-academic settings. These works are often used as reference materials for students studying mathematics or as historical resources for those interested in the evolution of mathematical thought.

5. Where can I find the complete works of major mathematicians?

The complete works of major mathematicians can be found in various forms such as books, online databases, and academic journals. They can also be accessed through libraries, universities, and other academic institutions. Some works may also be available for purchase or download from online retailers and publishers.