1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Completely bombed my english final FML

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    I'm in high school and my english final was basically analyzing a short story and then writing an essay on what I thought the theme/message was. I completely and utterly screwed up, it was a really challenging piece but the conclusion I came to turned out to be completely wrong, and in hindsight the evidence I used wasn't even the strongest. I don't know what to do, I had a solid A leading up to the final and I really loved the class, but this is just devastating. At best she might give a C, and that's being optimistic. Obviously it was a very subjective test but still I mean I can't believe I messed up that badly. Even with a C on the test that lowers my grade down to like a borderline A-/B+. What should I do? Talk to my professor right away? It hasn't been graded yet but I already know I did horribly.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2
    Don't worry about it. Go ahead and talk to your teacher about the grade, I doubt it will have a huge overall effect. In the scheme of things communication skills will be more important than analyzing fiction if you're looking to go into physics/engineering etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  4. Jan 18, 2012 #3
    First, wait until it's graded

Second, a B+ is still a good grade, everyone screws up. Don't expect special treatment; take it as a learning experience and do better next time.

5. Jan 18, 2012 #4
    Your right, my apologies for being rude.

6. Jan 18, 2012 #5
    It's a literary analysis paper, and you're in high school. A monkey could likely write better critiques of literature than most of your peers. Wait to see how you did, then you can be worried - or, better yet, just don't worry about it that much. Even if you got a C, your life is not "f'ed".

As an aside, I'm the kind of person who has a certain disdain for literary analysis, even though I often write from the perspective of literary analogy and metaphor. Consequently, I would oftentimes explore the least obvious possible literary analysis, sometimes even to the point where I knew the author had no intention of laying out such parallels. I always received a very high grade for my unique perspective. There is no right or wrong answer in literary analysis, although admittedly I doubt it is a legitimate critique to suggest that Moby Dick was paralleled by the author's deep-seated hatred and revulsion for sperm.

7. Jan 18, 2012 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: whew, that one caught me by surprise...

8. Jan 18, 2012 #7
  9. Jan 18, 2012 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook