Completing the square using algebra tiles

In summary, to create a square using algebra tiles for the quadratic equation x^2 + 4x + 5, we can represent x^2 and 4x using green squares and blue rectangles, respectively. This leaves us with a red square with side lengths of 2, which we can then add to the expression within the parentheses to get the completed square. Therefore, the final equation is (x+2)^2 + 1.
Gitty
I'm trying to create a square using algebra tiles. The question is x^2 + 4x + 5. I know how to do it without the algebra tiles but I don't know how to do it with the algebra tiles.

Can anyone give me a hand with this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Consider the following diagram:

View attachment 5305

In the quadratic:

\(\displaystyle y=x^2+4x+5\)

Let the green square represent $x^2$, which we have, and the 2 blue rectangles each represent \(\displaystyle 2x\) ($x$ by 2), which we also have, and so we see the red square will need to have side lengths of 2, and thus an area of 4, so we can then write:

\(\displaystyle y=\left(x^2+4x+4\right)+1\)

We know the expression within the parentheses represents the entire square, whose sides measure $x+2$, and so we may write:

\(\displaystyle y=(x+2)^2+1\)

Attachments

• comsquare.jpg
    comsquare.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 49

What is completing the square using algebra tiles?

Completing the square using algebra tiles is a method used to solve quadratic equations by rearranging the terms in the equation to create a perfect square trinomial.

Why is completing the square using algebra tiles useful?

Completing the square using algebra tiles is useful because it allows you to solve quadratic equations without using the quadratic formula or factoring, which can be time-consuming and complicated.

How do you complete the square using algebra tiles?

To complete the square using algebra tiles, you first need to arrange the tiles to form a square, with the x-squared term in the top left corner, the constant term in the bottom right corner, and the x-term on the left side. Then, you can manipulate the tiles to create a perfect square trinomial.

When should you use completing the square using algebra tiles?

Completing the square using algebra tiles is most commonly used when the coefficient of the x-squared term is not equal to 1. It can also be used when solving quadratic equations by graphing.

What are the benefits of using algebra tiles for completing the square?

Using algebra tiles for completing the square allows for a visual representation of the mathematical concepts, making it easier for students to understand and grasp the concept. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and reinforces the properties of quadratic equations.