1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis: Liouville's Theorem

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]f=u+iv[/tex] be an entire function. Prove that if [tex]u[/tex] is bounded, then [tex]f[/tex] is constant.

2. Relevant equations
    Liouville's Theorem states that the only bounded entire functions are the constant functions on [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that if [tex]u[/tex] is bounded, then the real part of the function is bounded, obviously. I need a function that is bounded for both the real and imaginary parts when just the real part is bounded and I am not sure how to find that...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about g=1/(M-f) where M is real. How can you pick a value for M that will make g bounded?

4. Nov 2, 2011 #3
    I don't see how to do that.

5. Nov 2, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is |g| in terms of u, v and M?

6. Nov 2, 2011 #5
    Is this what you mean?

[tex]|g|=\frac{(M-u)^2}{((M-u)^2+v^2)^2}+\frac{v^2}{((M-u)^2+v^2)^2}[/tex]

7. Nov 2, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's actually |g|^2. So simplify it and take the square root. Yes, that's basically what I mean.

8. Nov 2, 2011 #7
    Oops, got carried away in my LaTeX! Yes, I did mean the square root of that... Let me see if I can get anywhere from there! Thank you.

9. Nov 2, 2011 #8
    OK, so now that I have g bounded, it follows that f is bounded since [tex]\frac{1}{M-f}\neq 0.[/tex] Then it follows from Liouville's Theorem that f is constant, right?

10. Nov 2, 2011 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you are jumping to conclusions. |g|=1/sqrt((M-u)^2+v^2) is only going to be large if (M-u)^2 and v^2 are small. You can't do much about v^2. But you can make sure (M-u)^2 isn't small. Use that u is bounded. Tell me what 'bounded' means.

11. Nov 2, 2011 #10
    OK... Bounded just means that it has a limit, right?

12. Nov 2, 2011 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A 'limit' in what sense? u is bounded if there is a constant N such that -N<u<N.

13. Nov 2, 2011 #12
    Well, to make sure (M-u)^2 isn't small, could we let [tex](m-u)^2 \geq max (M,1)[/tex] where [tex]M[/tex] is the bound for [tex]u?[/tex] This is remotely, and I mean VERY remotely, similar to an example we did in class, so I think it might be in the right direction.

14. Nov 2, 2011 #13
    Oops, that should be [tex](M-u)^2 \geq max(M,1) ...[/tex]

15. Nov 2, 2011 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure you are seeing how simple it is. If -N<u<N then what happens if you pick M=N+1??

16. Nov 2, 2011 #15
    I actually ended up starting over and going a completely different route, as follows:

Let [tex]g(z) = e^{f(z)},[/tex] which is also entire, by assumption. We will apply Liouville’s theorem to [tex]g.[/tex]
    [tex]|g(z)| = e^{u+iv} = e^u*|e^{iv}|= e^u[/tex]
    because [tex]|e^{iv}| = 1[/tex] for all [tex]z = x+iy.[/tex] Since [tex]u[/tex] is bounded, say [tex]u ≤ M,[/tex] [tex]M \in \mathbb{R},[/tex] and [tex]e^u[/tex] is strictly increasing, we have [tex]|g(z)|\leq e^M[/tex] which implies that [tex]g[/tex] is constant. It follows that [tex]f[/tex] is also constant. [tex]\blacksquare[/tex]

17. Nov 2, 2011 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That works too. You do need to deal with the minor detail of showing that e^f(z) is constant implies f(z) is constant, since the exponential function isn't 1-1. The other approach would have shown for g=1/((N+1)-f) that |g|<=1 so g is constant and nonzero. Then you can just solve for f.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  18. Nov 2, 2011 #17
    Thank you so much! Your direction caused me to think enough to go in the other direction. I really appreciate that!

19. Nov 2, 2011 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Very welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook