Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Complex Analysis: Liouville's Theorem

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]f=u+iv[/tex] be an entire function. Prove that if [tex]u[/tex] is bounded, then [tex]f[/tex] is constant.

2. Relevant equations
    Liouville's Theorem states that the only bounded entire functions are the constant functions on [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that if [tex]u[/tex] is bounded, then the real part of the function is bounded, obviously. I need a function that is bounded for both the real and imaginary parts when just the real part is bounded and I am not sure how to find that...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about g=1/(M-f) where M is real. How can you pick a value for M that will make g bounded?

4. Nov 2, 2011 #3
    I don't see how to do that.

5. Nov 2, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is |g| in terms of u, v and M?

6. Nov 2, 2011 #5
    Is this what you mean?

[tex]|g|=\frac{(M-u)^2}{((M-u)^2+v^2)^2}+\frac{v^2}{((M-u)^2+v^2)^2}[/tex]

7. Nov 2, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's actually |g|^2. So simplify it and take the square root. Yes, that's basically what I mean.

8. Nov 2, 2011 #7
    Oops, got carried away in my LaTeX! Yes, I did mean the square root of that... Let me see if I can get anywhere from there! Thank you.

9. Nov 2, 2011 #8
    OK, so now that I have g bounded, it follows that f is bounded since [tex]\frac{1}{M-f}\neq 0.[/tex] Then it follows from Liouville's Theorem that f is constant, right?

10. Nov 2, 2011 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you are jumping to conclusions. |g|=1/sqrt((M-u)^2+v^2) is only going to be large if (M-u)^2 and v^2 are small. You can't do much about v^2. But you can make sure (M-u)^2 isn't small. Use that u is bounded. Tell me what 'bounded' means.

11. Nov 2, 2011 #10
    OK... Bounded just means that it has a limit, right?

12. Nov 2, 2011 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A 'limit' in what sense? u is bounded if there is a constant N such that -N<u<N.

13. Nov 2, 2011 #12
    Well, to make sure (M-u)^2 isn't small, could we let [tex](m-u)^2 \geq max (M,1)[/tex] where [tex]M[/tex] is the bound for [tex]u?[/tex] This is remotely, and I mean VERY remotely, similar to an example we did in class, so I think it might be in the right direction.

14. Nov 2, 2011 #13
    Oops, that should be [tex](M-u)^2 \geq max(M,1) ...[/tex]

15. Nov 2, 2011 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure you are seeing how simple it is. If -N<u<N then what happens if you pick M=N+1??

16. Nov 2, 2011 #15
    I actually ended up starting over and going a completely different route, as follows:

Let [tex]g(z) = e^{f(z)},[/tex] which is also entire, by assumption. We will apply Liouville’s theorem to [tex]g.[/tex]
    [tex]|g(z)| = e^{u+iv} = e^u*|e^{iv}|= e^u[/tex]
    because [tex]|e^{iv}| = 1[/tex] for all [tex]z = x+iy.[/tex] Since [tex]u[/tex] is bounded, say [tex]u ≤ M,[/tex] [tex]M \in \mathbb{R},[/tex] and [tex]e^u[/tex] is strictly increasing, we have [tex]|g(z)|\leq e^M[/tex] which implies that [tex]g[/tex] is constant. It follows that [tex]f[/tex] is also constant. [tex]\blacksquare[/tex]

17. Nov 2, 2011 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That works too. You do need to deal with the minor detail of showing that e^f(z) is constant implies f(z) is constant, since the exponential function isn't 1-1. The other approach would have shown for g=1/((N+1)-f) that |g|<=1 so g is constant and nonzero. Then you can just solve for f.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  18. Nov 2, 2011 #17
    Thank you so much! Your direction caused me to think enough to go in the other direction. I really appreciate that!

19. Nov 2, 2011 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Very welcome.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook