1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Mapping - Is transforming boundaries enough?

1. Sep 16, 2015 #1
    Say I will make the transformation from the ##z## plane to the ##w## plane. Moreover, I'll transform a region ##R## with boundary ##C## in the ##z## plane to something in the ##w## plane.

Why is it that if I know the equations for ##C## then I can transform these and immediately know that ##R## will be inside the transformed boundaries? Why isn't it the case that some point in ##R## maps into some point not inside ##C'## (which is my transformed boundary)?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

You have to say something about the transformation. Normally, you are using linear, or at least continuous mappings which by definition will preserve this inside-outside relationship.

4. Sep 16, 2015 #3
    According to what you say I think continuous mappings would be what I'm dealing with. Strangely I didn't think of continuity, which makes this more intuitive, but not obvious to me.

I see that every point in the neighborhood of ##z_o## in ##R## will also be mapped in ##R'## as a simple closed region. I guess I can visualize these small neighborhoods expanding until they reach the transformed contour...

Is this the argument?

I was told this was because analytic transformations are "open maps" is this what they mean by it?

5. Sep 16, 2015 #4

Svein

Science Advisor

Counterexample: Let [itex] C= (z:\lvert z \lvert = 1)[/itex], then [itex]R= (z:\lvert z \lvert < 1) [/itex]. Now transform this using [itex] w=\frac{1}{z}[/itex]. This maps C onto C, but R is mapped to the outside of C.

6. Sep 16, 2015 #5
    Svein, but if the function ##w## is analytic in every point in ##R## then what I say will hold right?

7. Sep 16, 2015 #6

Svein

Science Advisor

Sorry, I do not know. I checked out Ahlfors, and he carefully does not make that statement. It depends very much on C and the concept of inside.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook