Complex quadratic equation z^2 - (7+i)z + 24 + 7i = 0

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
newton1
Messages
157
Reaction score
0
[tex]z^2 - (7+i)z + 24 + 7i = 0[/tex]
[tex]z= \frac{\ 7+i \pm \sqrt{(7+i)^2 - 4(24+7i)} }{ 2 }[/tex]
[tex]z= \frac{\ 7+i \pm \sqrt{-47 - 14i }}{ 2 }[/tex]
i stuck here
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know whether you can simplify it further than that.

When I check the real part of what you have inside the root, I get 7^2 - 1 - 4*24, which is -48, not -47.
 
Last edited:
yes, it's -48
the answer in book is 3+4i , 4-3i
 
I just substituted one of the book solutions into the original equation to check whether it is valid:

(3 + 4i) (3 + 4i) - (7 + i) (3 + 4i) + 24 + 7i = 0 + 0i.

So that book solution seems to be correct.

I also checked the other book solution, and it is also correct.

I do not know how you get from your form to the book form.
 
Last edited:
To simplify sqrt(-48-14i), solve for real numbers a and b such that:

(a + bi)(a+bi)= -48-14i,

so that a^2 - b^2 = -48 and 2ab = -14.

You may be able to figure it out by doing that.

The next step could be that since a=-7/b,

(-7/b)^2 - b^2 = -48.
 
A standard way of handling [itex]\sqrt{-48-14i}[/itex] is to convert to polar form and use DeMoivre's formula: this happens to have r= 50 and [theta]= 0.284 radians.
The square root will have r= [itex]\sqrt{50}= 5\sqrt{2}[/itex] and theta= 0.142 radians or 3.283 radians. That is, the square roots are [itex]5\sqrt{2}(cos(0.142)+ i sin(0.142))[/itex]= 7+ i and [itex]5\sqrt{2}(cos(3.283)+ i sin(3.283))[/itex]= -7- i.