Complex wave forms and fundamentals.... Very very stuck

In summary, the conversation is about a complex waveform question and the person is seeking help to determine the amplitude, frequency, order of harmonic components, amplitude of harmonic components, and phase angle of harmonic components. The conversation also mentions the period of sine terms and how it can help in finding the requested information.
JPorkins
Hi,

My teacher tasked me with a complex waveform question, i have looked for some time to find out how to tackle these, but i still do not know where to begin.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, not look for an answer just a method.

\(\displaystyle i=12sin(40*\pi t) + 4sin(120* \pi t - /3\pi) + 2sin(200 \pi t + /2\pi)\)
determine the
amplitude of the fundamental
the frequency of the fundamental
The order of harmonic components
amplitude of harmonic components
the phase angle of harmonic components

Thanks,
Jack

Mathematics news on Phys.org
JPorkins said:
Hi,

My teacher tasked me with a complex waveform question, i have looked for some time to find out how to tackle these, but i still do not know where to begin.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, not look for an answer just a method.

\(\displaystyle i=12sin(40*\pi t) + 4sin(120* \pi t - /3\pi) + 2sin(200 \pi t + /2\pi)\)
determine the
amplitude of the fundamental
the frequency of the fundamental
The order of harmonic components
amplitude of harmonic components
the phase angle of harmonic components

Thanks,
Jack

Hi Jack,

Which definitions does your course material give for those?
And what does your course material say on how to find them?

As a starting point, $\sin(t)$ has a period of $2\pi$, so that $\sin(k t)$ has a period of $\frac{2\pi}{k}$.
Which periods do the respective sine terms have?
Note that if one is a multiple of another, their sum has a period that is equal to the largest one.

What are complex wave forms?

Complex wave forms are created when two or more simple waves with different frequencies and amplitudes are combined. They can be described as a combination of sine and cosine functions with varying phases, frequencies, and amplitudes.

What is the fundamental frequency of a complex wave form?

The fundamental frequency of a complex wave form is the lowest frequency component present in the wave. It is also known as the first harmonic.

How do you analyze complex wave forms?

To analyze complex wave forms, you can use a technique called Fourier analysis. This method breaks down the complex wave into its individual frequency components, allowing for a better understanding of its overall shape and characteristics.

What is the relationship between complex wave forms and music?

Complex wave forms are the basis of sound and music. In music, complex wave forms are created by combining different musical notes and instruments, resulting in the unique and recognizable sounds we hear.

What are some real-life applications of complex wave forms?

Complex wave forms have many practical applications, including audio and signal processing, telecommunications, and medical imaging. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and music production.