Compton scattering contributes to color in any way?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Compton scattering and color in different substances. While the Compton formula may not directly determine the color of a substance, transitions in electron energy levels within the atomic structure can affect the emitted photon's energy and thus the color. Compton scattering can also result in the absorption of photons, causing a substance to appear black when illuminated with a different color. Pair production is another interesting effect of Compton scattering, where energy can be turned into matter. However, the concept of energy-mass equivalence blurs the traditional concept of mass.
Charlie G
Is compton scattering the reason why different substance have different colors?

I was thinking along the lines of substanes with higher energy electrons around the atom wouldn't cause too much of a change in the photons wavelength and atoms with lower energy electrons will absorb more energy and would cause a more dramatic increase in wavelength.

I have thought of flaws in my thinking like why when shine a blue light on something the light doesn't comes back to my eyes green, which I have never known to happen. But I was really just wanting to know if Compton scattering contributes to color in any way? Most definitions only seem to talk of gamma quanta and x-rays, so maybe the effect only happens with such high energy photons so we could never see it with our own eyes, but I'm just curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
Charlie G said:
Is compton scattering the reason why different substance have different colors?

No. A quick proof: look at the Compton formula. Does the substance where you get the electron enter into it? If not, how can this determine the color?

Yea good point, but could anyone tell me why one substance reflects blue light while the next one reflects green, what's the difference between two substances at the atomic level that causes them to be different colors?

Charlie G said:
Yea good point, but could anyone tell me why one substance reflects blue light while the next one reflects green, what's the difference between two substances at the atomic level that causes them to be different colors?

It is the transitions between energy levels within the atomic electron structure that determine the energy (frequency - color) of the emitted photons.

Compton scattering is scattering by "free" electrons.

Oh I see, thanks for the reply mathman.

Vanadium 50 said:
No. A quick proof: look at the Compton formula. Does the substance where you get the electron enter into it? If not, how can this determine the color?
That's not a very good reason, since Compton scattering does depend on the effective mass of the electron.

Perhaps a better one is something like: red objects illuminated by blue light appear black (indicating the relevant process is absorption rather than colour shifting).

cesiumfrog said:
That's not a very good reason, since Compton scattering does depend on the effective mass of the electron.
Can you clarify this? What/how much is effective mass in this case?
Thanks.

Charlie...good question, not an obvious answer...some errors in posts above..
Suggest you read Compton scattering and Color via Wikipedia for an introduction...
color and selected types of Compton scattering do seem related.

Because there are different "Compton ccattering" mechanisms you probably want to specify what you mean...here is one qualification as an example:

If the photon is of lower energy, but still has sufficient energy (in general a few eV, right around the energy of visible light), it can eject an electron from its host atom entirely (a process known as the photoelectric effect), instead of undergoing Compton scattering. Higher energy photons (~MeV) may be able to bombard the nucleus and cause an electron and a positron to be formed, a process called pair production

and
Compton scattering is of prime importance to radiobiology, as it happens to be the most probable interaction of high energy X rays with atomic nuclei ...Compton scattering is an important effect in gamma spectroscopy which gives rise to the Compton edge...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_scattering#Compton_scattering

Thx for the reply Naty1. The pair production sounds really interesting, I think its really cool to find situations where energy becomes matter, rather than matter becoming energy. It really emphasizes energy-mass equivalence. Though its also kind of disturbing, ever since learning of energy-mass equivalence, my entire concept of mass is now blurred. But that's what makes physics so interesting:)

Well, we had some major discussion last month regarding mass/energy. And also in this quite new thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=289508

The results of these discussions is that there are no such thing as "pure" energy, hence talking about "mass becoming energy" is inaccurate :-)

1. What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which an incoming photon interacts with an electron, causing the photon to lose energy and change direction. This is a type of scattering that occurs in the atomic scale.

2. How does Compton scattering contribute to color?

Compton scattering can contribute to color by changing the wavelength of light. When a photon scatters off an electron, the energy of the photon changes, which can result in a change in the color of the light. This is known as the Compton effect.

3. Is Compton scattering responsible for all color in the world?

No, Compton scattering is just one of many processes that contribute to color. Other factors, such as the absorption and reflection of light, also play a role in determining the colors we see.

4. How is Compton scattering related to the color of objects?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that are reflected off its surface. Compton scattering can change the wavelengths of light, which can affect the color of an object. For example, blue objects appear blue because they reflect mostly blue light, and Compton scattering can alter the wavelength of that blue light.

5. Can Compton scattering be used to create colors artificially?

Yes, Compton scattering can be used in certain materials and processes to create specific colors. For example, in computer monitors and TVs, Compton scattering is used to generate different colors by altering the wavelengths of light that are emitted from the screen. Scientists can also use Compton scattering in experiments to study the properties of materials and their interactions with light.