Understanding Scattered Radiation in Photon Beams

In summary, the attenuation coefficient of a beam of photons is known. If I'm not wrong, this formula tells us the number of photons that passed through the material of thickness x without interacting with it (), but it does not tell us the "real" total number of photons that we should expect to see beyond this material () given by the sum of the first ones and the "scattered radiation". My question is about what do we mean with "scattered radiation"?.
eneacasucci
TL;DR Summary
scattered radiation of photons when passing through a material
Consider a source emitting a beam of photons. These photons pass through x thickness of material. The attenuation coefficient of the beam \mu is known.
We can write this formula
1683192752250.png

1683189958516.png

If I'm not wrong, this formula tells us the number of photons that passed through the material of thickness x without interacting with it (
1683190403717.png
), but it does not tell us the "real" total number of photons that we should expect to see beyond this material (
1683190424672.png
) given by the sum of the first ones and the "scattered radiation".
My question is about what do we mean with "scattered radiation"?.
This is what I think about: "scattered radiation" are the photons resulting from the interaction of the primary beam with matter, that can happen in these ways:
1)photoelectric effect: with characteristic x-ray emission
2)Compton effect: in which the original photon loses energy, which is transferred to an electron
3)pair production: in which additional photons may be emitted if positron-electron annihilation occurs
4)coherent scattering: photon undergoes deflection but does not lose energy

Are these photons (1,2,3,4) the ones constituting the so-called "scattered radiation"? is there something else?P.S. To get a correct estimate of the photons passing through the material, thus also considering scattered photons, I should add a correction term, how is it estimated?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is also possibility of no interaction at all, right?

Likes eneacasucci
malawi_glenn said:
There is also possibility of no interaction at all, right?
Yes I think so, as I've written, the number of photons that pass through the material without interacting should be given by this formula
1683192734489.png

That formula does not take into account "rescattering" becuase it is assumed that the in comming radiation is monoenergetic. Keep in mind that ##\mu## depends on the photon energy. For a more detailed treatment you need to perform simulations use e.g. Geant4 software

@eneacasucci, could you please use Latex for your equations instead of embedding images? For example ##N(x)=N_0e^{-\mu x}## - there’s a Latex guide linked right below where you type posts/replies.

Likes eneacasucci
malawi_glenn said:
That formula does not take into account "rescattering" becuase it is assumed that the in comming radiation is monoenergetic. Keep in mind that ##\mu## depends on the photon energy. For a more detailed treatment you need to perform simulations use e.g. Geant4 software
yes sure, ##\mu## depends on the energy of the photon.
Could I ask if it is possible to have an answer for the green questions in the original post? :) thank you so much for your time

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Nugatory said:
@eneacasucci, could you please use Latex for your equations instead of embedding images? For example ##N(x)=N_0e^{-\mu x}## - there’s a Latex guide linked right below where you type posts/replies.
Unfortunately I can't edit my original post but I'll try to write everything in latex in future messages and posts, sorry

Likes berkeman
eneacasucci said:
Yes I think so, as I've written, the number of photons that pass through the material without interacting should be given by this formula
1683192734489-png.png
This follows from assuming that any "scattering" removes the particle from the incident beam, never to be seen again. This is often a good approximation for open geometries and collimated beams. Also it is very easy to apply.
Particles being returned to the beam after repeat scattering are rare although some devices (lasers for instance) rely on this effect , so you need to understand the system. These problems are typically much more difficult to calculate.

Likes vanhees71 and eneacasucci
eneacasucci said:
Unfortunately I can't edit my original post but I'll try to write everything in latex in future messages and posts, sorry
That's good enough, no problem.

1. What is scattered radiation in photon beams?

Scattered radiation in photon beams refers to the secondary radiation produced when a primary photon beam interacts with matter. This secondary radiation can be caused by Compton scattering, where the photon loses energy and changes direction, or by photoelectric effect, where the photon is absorbed and a secondary electron is emitted.

2. Why is understanding scattered radiation important?

Understanding scattered radiation is important for several reasons. Firstly, it can affect the accuracy of radiation therapy treatments, as it can contribute to the dose delivered to surrounding healthy tissues. Additionally, it is important for radiation safety, as scattered radiation can expose healthcare workers and patients to unnecessary radiation. Finally, understanding scattered radiation can also help in the development of new radiation therapy techniques and technologies.

3. How is scattered radiation measured?

Scattered radiation can be measured using various techniques, such as film dosimetry, ionization chambers, and Monte Carlo simulations. These methods can provide information on the amount and distribution of scattered radiation in a photon beam. However, each method has its limitations, and a combination of techniques may be used for a more accurate measurement.

4. What factors affect the amount of scattered radiation in a photon beam?

The amount of scattered radiation in a photon beam can be affected by several factors, including the energy and intensity of the primary photon beam, the thickness and composition of the material it interacts with, and the angle at which the radiation is measured. Additionally, the type of material used for beam shaping, such as collimators or wedges, can also influence the amount of scattered radiation.

5. How can scattered radiation be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce scattered radiation in photon beams, including using beam modifiers such as collimators and wedges to shape the beam and minimize its interaction with surrounding materials. Additionally, techniques such as flattening filters and multi-leaf collimators can also help reduce scattered radiation. It is also important for healthcare workers to follow proper radiation safety protocols and use shielding devices to minimize their exposure to scattered radiation.