Compute ΔB seen by a magnetometer flown on a satellite

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a satellite carrying a magnetometer flying over a current with a given magnitude and distance. The question asks for the magnitude of the change in the magnetic field that will be seen by the magnetometer. The conversation also mentions assumptions and knowns, and includes an attempt at a solution using the scalar form of the Biot-Savart Law. However, it is noted that the vector form of the equation should be used instead, and the geometry of the problem will need to be considered.
harlowz2
1. Sample calculation - If a satellite carrying a magnetometer flies at 300km over a current that is flowing at 100km w/ a magnitude of 150 μA/m2 (over a cross-section of ~5 km2), how big a ΔB will be seen by the magnetometer?
Assumptions (based on my understanding):
-Satellite altitude remains constant
-Current altitude and magnitude remains constant
-Speed of the satellite does not matter

Knowns:
Current density (Amps/m2) = J = 150
Distance between magnetometer and current = r = 200 km
Current area = Area = 5 km2

2. I have very limited experience with magnetic field calculations, but I believe the equation that should be used is as follows (note: instructor did not provide any equation):
A form of the Biot-Savart Law ⇔ B= (μ0/4[itex]\pi[/itex]) * [itex]\int[/itex](J x r)/r2 d[itex]\upsilon[/itex]

3. I do not have an attempt at a solution, since I have no idea where to start. Please help!

UPDATE: Here is what I have tried so far, and the units appear to check out.
Using a scalar form of the Biot-Savart Law, and assuming a unit depth for the volume integral, I get...
B = (μ0/4[itex]\pi[/itex]) * (J * Area)/r2

After plugging numbers in, I arrive at: ΔB = 1.1111*10-12 T = 1.110 pT

Is this anywhere close, or even sound right? I have the tendency to pull ideas out of thin air.

Thanks,
Zack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First thought:
Using a scalar form of the Biot-Savart Law
Why do you do that?

I was assuming a scalar form because:
1) All values given to me in the problem statement are scalar, not vector.
2) I really have no idea how to do the problem. Doing that is my best attempt at the problem.

Sorry for the delayed response, I had some trouble getting to the site yesterday.
harlowz2 said:
I was assuming a scalar form because:
1) All values given to me in the problem statement are scalar, not vector.
OK, well, it's a good thought, but that's not a correct assumption. Even if you're only given scalar values in the question, you will still generally have to use the vector form of the equation. The scalar version you used applies only under certain very specific conditions.

In this case, you'll have to use the geometry of the problem to determine the vectors you need to use. I would suggest starting by drawing a diagram, and if you can, upload it as an attachment here.

As a scientist, my response to this content would be to first clarify the assumptions and knowns stated. It is important to have a clear understanding of the parameters and variables involved in the problem in order to accurately solve it.

Next, I would use the Biot-Savart Law, which relates the magnetic field at a point to the current density and distance from the current. In this case, we are looking for the change in magnetic field (ΔB) at a specific location due to the current flowing below the satellite.

Using the given values, we can calculate the magnetic field at the location of the magnetometer by integrating the Biot-Savart Law over the area of the current. This will give us the total magnetic field at the location. Then, we can subtract the magnetic field without the current (background field) to get the change in magnetic field due to the current.

The final answer will depend on the specific units and constants used, but it should be in the range of nanotesla (nT) or picotesla (pT). It is always important to double check the units and make sure they are consistent and appropriate for the problem.

In conclusion, with the given assumptions and knowns, a scientist would use the Biot-Savart Law to calculate the change in magnetic field seen by the magnetometer flown on the satellite. This will provide a quantitative answer to the problem and can be used to further understand the effects of the current on the magnetic field.

1. What is a magnetometer and what does it measure?

A magnetometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the strength and direction of magnetic fields. In the context of a satellite, a magnetometer measures the magnetic field strength and direction of the Earth's magnetic field.

2. How does a magnetometer flown on a satellite compute ΔB?

A magnetometer flown on a satellite uses its sensors to measure the magnetic field strength and direction and then calculates the change (Δ) in the magnetic field (B) over time. This is represented as ΔB.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of ΔB measurements from a magnetometer flown on a satellite?

The accuracy of ΔB measurements from a magnetometer flown on a satellite can be affected by a variety of factors, including the satellite's position and orientation in relation to the Earth's magnetic field, the strength and direction of the Earth's magnetic field, and any interference from external magnetic fields or sources.

4. How is ΔB used in satellite data analysis?

ΔB measurements from a magnetometer flown on a satellite can be used in a variety of ways in satellite data analysis. They can provide information about the structure and dynamics of the Earth's magnetic field, as well as help in the study of space weather and its effects on satellite systems.

5. Can a magnetometer flown on a satellite measure magnetic fields from other celestial bodies?

Yes, a magnetometer flown on a satellite can measure magnetic fields from other celestial bodies besides the Earth. For example, it can be used to study the magnetic fields of other planets, such as Mars or Jupiter, as well as the magnetic fields of comets and other objects in our solar system.