Compute the total stellar mass from a galaxy with Red Giants

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the total stellar mass of a galaxy using the Schechter relation or Salpeter distribution. The parameters of red-giants with a mass of 1 solar mass and luminosity of 1000 solar luminosities are taken into consideration. The conversation also mentions calculating the fraction of mass between 0.9 and 1.1 solar masses and seeking help for computing the total stellar mass from these parameters.
fab13
Hello,

Suppose that all stars in this galaxy were born in a single major-merger burst event about 10 Gyr ago

If the luminosity in the B band (absolute magnitude in B-band is equal to -21.22) is dominated by stars of in the RG branch, with masses ##m \sim 1\,\text{L}_{\odot}## (within ##\sim 10\%##) and average luminosities ##\sim 1000\,\text{L}_{\odot}##.

How can I estimate the total stellar mass of this galaxy using the Schechter relation ?

I think that I have to use the law of Schechter :

##N(L)\ \mathrm {d} L=\phi^{*}\left({\frac{L}{L^{*}}}\right)^{\alpha}\mathrm {e}^{-L/L^{*}}{\frac{\mathrm {d} L}{L^{*}}}##

or maybe Salpeter distribution : ##\text{d}N=0.06\,\times\,M^{-2.35}\,\text{d}M##

But how to introduce the parameters of Red-Giants of ##1\,\text{M}_{\odot}## with ##L=1000\,\text{L}_{\odot}## ?

Initially, I calculate the fraction of masse between ##m_{1}=0.9## and ##m_{2}=1.1\,\text{M}_{\odot}## :

##\text{d}N(m_{1}<m<m_{2})=\int_{m_{1}}^{m_{2}}\,\Phi(m)\,\text{d}m=0.06\,\dfrac{(0.9^{-1.35}-1.1^{-1.35})}{1.35} = 1.22 \%##

Anyone could see the trick to compute total stellar mass from these parameters with above laws ?

Regards

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Really no one can help me about the trick to compute total stellar mass from the parameters that I have used ?

1. How is the total stellar mass of a galaxy with Red Giants calculated?

The total stellar mass of a galaxy with Red Giants is calculated by adding up the mass of each individual Red Giant star in the galaxy. This can be done by using observations and measurements of the stars' luminosity and temperature, and applying mathematical models and equations to estimate their mass.

2. Are all Red Giants in a galaxy the same size and mass?

No, the size and mass of Red Giants can vary greatly. The mass of a Red Giant depends on its initial mass and the stage of its evolution, while the size can be affected by factors such as the star's age and composition. Therefore, not all Red Giants in a galaxy will have the same size and mass.

3. How does the total stellar mass of a galaxy with Red Giants compare to other types of galaxies?

The total stellar mass of a galaxy with Red Giants can vary depending on the size and age of the galaxy. However, on average, galaxies with Red Giants tend to have lower total stellar mass compared to other types of galaxies, such as elliptical galaxies which are known to have a higher concentration of stars.

4. Can the total stellar mass of a galaxy with Red Giants change over time?

Yes, the total stellar mass of a galaxy with Red Giants can change over time. This is because Red Giants are constantly evolving and can eventually shed their outer layers, which can then be recycled back into the galaxy, contributing to its overall stellar mass.

5. How does the total stellar mass of a galaxy with Red Giants affect its overall properties?

The total stellar mass of a galaxy with Red Giants can have a significant impact on its overall properties, such as its gravitational pull, rate of star formation, and chemical composition. It can also play a role in the galaxy's evolution and interactions with other galaxies in its vicinity.