Computer freezing when screensaver comes on

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the screensaver on a computer freezing the device. The solution suggested is to use regedit and change the data value for ScreenSaveActive to zero in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop folder. This solution should work for Windows XP and potentially later versions as well.
leroyjenkens
After about 10 minutes of not moving the mouse or typing, my screensaver comes on, and the colors are kinda messed up and the computer freezes.
I tried just disabling the screensaver, but whenever I go to the thing that let's me disable the screensaver, the screensaver comes up on a little window to show me what it looks like, and the computer freezes.
Is there any way to disable the screensaver without actually having to see the screensaver?

Computer science news on Phys.org
For Windows XP, use regedit, look for folder

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

and change the data value for

ScreenSaveActive

to zero.

There should be similar entries for later versions of windows.

Thanks.

What causes a computer to freeze when the screensaver comes on?

There are several potential causes for a computer freezing when the screensaver comes on. It could be due to outdated or corrupt graphics drivers, insufficient RAM or processing power, malware or viruses, or an overheating issue.

How can I prevent my computer from freezing when the screensaver comes on?

To prevent your computer from freezing when the screensaver comes on, you can try updating your graphics drivers, ensuring you have enough RAM and processing power, running regular malware scans, and keeping your computer clean and dust-free to prevent overheating.

Is there a specific screensaver that is more likely to cause a computer to freeze?

No, there is no specific screensaver that is more likely to cause a computer to freeze. It ultimately depends on the computer's hardware and software configuration, as well as any potential issues such as outdated drivers or malware.

How can I fix a frozen computer when the screensaver is on?

If your computer freezes when the screensaver is on, you can try pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete to bring up the Task Manager and then end any unresponsive programs. If that doesn't work, you may need to force a shutdown by holding down the power button.

Are there any long-term effects of a computer freezing when the screensaver comes on?

In most cases, a computer freezing when the screensaver comes on will not have any long-term effects on the computer itself. However, if the freezing is caused by an overheating issue, it could potentially damage the hardware over time if not addressed.