Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer going into hibernate mode by itself

1. Sep 11, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    There's a mystery in my laptop, that makes it hibernate after it's been on for awhile. I've turned off auto-hibernate/suspension in the power settings already, so this is really puzzling to me why this is happening. I want to leave the computer on during the night to do some long calculations, but every time I wake up it's hibernating and nothing was done... Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Can you provide more details on the computer? HW manufacturer? Operating system? computational software? versions of each?

So the computer isn't overheating and shutting down because of that right? and your screen saver isn't kicking in causing your computations to stop?

4. Sep 11, 2015 #3
    Sorry forgot mentioning it's a Toshiba running Windows 8.1 64-bits. As anti-virus I'm running Avira, and running Symantec Encryption Desktop for disk encryption. Others are standard programs.

5. Sep 11, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

DId it start doing this after a software update?

6. Sep 11, 2015 #5

jedishrfu

7. Sep 11, 2015 #6

jedishrfu

8. Sep 13, 2015 #7

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the power goes low it has no choice. Do you leave it plugged in and getting power?

9. Sep 14, 2015 #8
    Yes it's plugged in. I noticed it only happens if I turn off the internet connection, so I'm just leaving the internet connection on :) Still no idea what triggers it though.

10. Oct 2, 2015 #9
    Its worth checking to make sure it isn't overheating, you might be able to do this in setup (press del or F2 on startup) if it reports system health, or you should be able to find the system event logs which should tell you about going into hibernation. Go to your power management consul and alter the settings, you can disable hibernation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook