1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer or electrical engineering-electroptics

1. Dec 17, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I am a newbie on this forum (I registered yesturday).

Right now I am in high school and doing very well in Math and Science. Soon, I will have to go to college in engineering. Electrical and computer engineering are the most interesting branches in engineering. But I do not know which one of those 2 is the best for what I would like to do. I like programming, electronic and optics. Which of those 2 fields are more dealing with electroptics.

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2012 #2
    The Electronic Engineering degree that I am following allows me to work with both Programming and the hardware stuff. However, the programming is not "high-level" programming where you build big software programs. It is mostly systems-programming and low-level programming (like device drivers).
    I do not know about computer science, but I think that you will not be working very much with electronics. You will be working with more of the abstract areas of programming.

If I had to tell you what to do, I would say Electronic Engineering. It will give you a possibility to work with all of it. And once you have worked with C/C++ for three years in school, it's "easy" to extend your knowledge to other languages or higher-level topics than what is taught.

4. Dec 18, 2012 #3
    Electrical. Optics is a subfield of Electrical Engineering, while it isn't even covered in a typical Computer Engineering degree. The choice is obvious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook