Computer or electrical engineering-electroptics

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing engineering in college, specifically in the fields of electrical and computer engineering. They are unsure of which field would be better for their interests in programming, electronics, and optics. The advice given is to pursue a degree in Electrical Engineering, as it covers all of the mentioned interests and has more overlap with optics compared to Computer Engineering.
garet122
Hello,

I am a newbie on this forum (I registered yesturday).

Right now I am in high school and doing very well in Math and Science. Soon, I will have to go to college in engineering. Electrical and computer engineering are the most interesting branches in engineering. But I do not know which one of those 2 is the best for what I would like to do. I like programming, electronic and optics. Which of those 2 fields are more dealing with electroptics.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The Electronic Engineering degree that I am following allows me to work with both Programming and the hardware stuff. However, the programming is not "high-level" programming where you build big software programs. It is mostly systems-programming and low-level programming (like device drivers).
I do not know about computer science, but I think that you will not be working very much with electronics. You will be working with more of the abstract areas of programming.

If I had to tell you what to do, I would say Electronic Engineering. It will give you a possibility to work with all of it. And once you have worked with C/C++ for three years in school, it's "easy" to extend your knowledge to other languages or higher-level topics than what is taught.

garet122 said:
Hello,

I am a newbie on this forum (I registered yesturday).

Right now I am in high school and doing very well in Math and Science. Soon, I will have to go to college in engineering. Electrical and computer engineering are the most interesting branches in engineering. But I do not know which one of those 2 is the best for what I would like to do. I like programming, electronic and optics. Which of those 2 fields are more dealing with electroptics.thank you

Electrical. Optics is a subfield of Electrical Engineering, while it isn't even covered in a typical Computer Engineering degree. The choice is obvious.

1. What is the difference between computer engineering and electrical engineering?

Computer engineering focuses on the design and development of computer systems and their components, such as hardware, software, and networking. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. While there is some overlap between the two fields, computer engineering is more software-oriented, while electrical engineering is more hardware-oriented.

2. What is electrooptics and how is it related to computer and electrical engineering?

Electrooptics is a field that deals with the interaction of light and electricity. It is closely related to both computer engineering and electrical engineering as it involves the development and use of devices that utilize both light and electricity, such as lasers, LEDs, and solar cells. In computer engineering, electrooptics is used in devices such as optical storage drives and fiber optic communication. In electrical engineering, it is used in the design and development of optoelectronic devices.

3. What are some career options for someone with a degree in computer or electrical engineering-electrooptics?

Some career options for someone with a degree in computer or electrical engineering-electrooptics include working as a computer hardware engineer, electrical engineer, or optoelectronics engineer. Other possible career paths include working in the fields of telecommunications, defense, or renewable energy.

4. What kind of skills are needed for a career in computer or electrical engineering-electrooptics?

Some important skills for a career in computer or electrical engineering-electrooptics include a strong understanding of mathematics, problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, and attention to detail. Additionally, knowledge of programming languages, circuit design, and optics is also beneficial.

5. What are some current developments in the field of computer or electrical engineering-electrooptics?

Some current developments in this field include the use of electrooptics in the development of self-driving cars, virtual and augmented reality systems, and advanced communications technology. There is also ongoing research in the use of electrooptics for renewable energy, such as solar panels and energy-efficient lighting systems.