1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer/processor logic design textbook recommendations?

1. Jun 15, 2015 #1
    Looking for a solid introductory text on computer logic with emphasize on hardware design. There is tons of material out there, but it seems to me most of them are oriented towards low level software design, rather then hardware design: lots of register transfer codes, VHDL/Verilog simulations, but not a single logic diagram in the book. Want to see HOW my instructions are executed: from memory to register file, to ALU, back to memory, etc.. In other words, I need an electrical engineer's perspective on the subject, not a software engineer's one! Any recommendations? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2015 #2

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Well, first I would say that Logic Design and Computer Hardware Design are slightly different things. If you don't have a solid grasp of elementary logic design you'll drown trying to read a Computer Architecture text. If you want to start with digital logic, I suggest using the book "Fundamentals of Logic Design" by Charles Roth. You can get an old edition super-cheap since the fundamentals haven't changed in decades: https://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals...=1434405430&sr=1-6&keywords=logic+design+roth

If you're already comfortable with Logic Design or you finish going through the Logic Design book I linked to, the Bible of Computer Architecture is Patterson and Hennessy:

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Org...=1-2&keywords=patterson+computer+organization

Again, I've linked to an old edition that is cheaper but more than good enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted