1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer science: Learn now or wait

1. Jun 30, 2012 #1
    I'm taking a computer science class in the fall, and I figured I could get a jump start by watching a couple lecture videos from the various universities that put them out online, but in a couple of them they said it'd probably be easier for the people who don't know anything about computer science to get a better understanding, Should I just wait for my class to start or keep watching/reading?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2012 #2
    Summer is a waste of time if you did not learn anything new :)

4. Jun 30, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I would continue watching the video's. You'll learn something new, and it will likely help with your classes.

There is an even better idea. What programming language is the course in?? Why don't you start and learn the basics of the language?? Trying stuff yourself is much better than listening to a lecture!!

5. Jun 30, 2012 #4
    I'm not sure what language it's going to be in, The only thing I know is that it's going to be the first of the computer science classes. I've been told that Java was the easiest to learn so it'd probably be in that?

6. Jun 30, 2012 #5
    The majority of universities use Java to teach computer science. I would not say its the easiest language to learn, but its what everyone teaches. I would recommend you teach yourself the basics this summer. You may even find you like computer science more then your current degree.

7. Jun 30, 2012 #6
    Summer is a waste of time if you didn't waste your time!! :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook