Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing lebesgue number for an open covering

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    Munkres proof for the Lebesgue number lemma which is
    (If X is a compact metric space and A is an open covering then there exists δ>0 such that for each subset of X having diameter less than δ , then there exists an element of the covering A containing it)
    gives a way to compute δ using a finite subcollection that covers the compact metric space. However, this is not necessarily the smallest Lebesgue number. I wonder if there is another proof that involves evaluating the smallest Lebesgue number, if the latter exists.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2013 #2
    Useful nucleus, do you mean the largest Lebesgue number? Any positive number smaller than a Lebesgue number for a covering is also a Lebesgue number for the covering.

4. Apr 1, 2013 #3
    lugita15, you are absolutely right, I meant largest Lebesgue number if exist. I did not have time to refelct on this question again, but will give it a try soon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook