1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing the angles of Vector to x,y,z axisses

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A vector is given by R = 2.00 i + 1.70 j + 2.81 k.

(a) Find the magnitudes of the x, y, and z components.
    x = 2
    y = 1.70
    z = 2.81
    (b) Find the magnitude of R.
    (c) Find the angle between R and the x axis.
    ?
    Find the angle between R and the y axis.
    ?
    Find the angle between R and the z axis.
    ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have the correct answers for part (a)& (b) but very confused on (c) what I needed to do to find angle

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2
    You'll need to use the dot product. For two vectors a and b, the dot product is:

[itex]\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b} = a_xb_x + a_yb_y + a_zb_z = |a||b|cosθ[/itex]

You want to solve this for θ. What two vectors do you need to use to find the angle between R and the x-axis?

Edit: Just to be clear, in the above equation, θ is the angle between a and b. You already know that you have to use R, but what other vector can you use that points along the x-axis? The y-axis? The z-axis?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  4. Aug 28, 2012 #3
    You are looking for the angle the displacement vector is from each axis. So for the angle from the x-axis you need to consider the displacement from the j and k components (similar to what you did in part b) and determine the corresponding angle to the triangle formed by the j/k displacement and the given i value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook