COMSOL : damped vibration analysis of a cantilevered beam

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the damped vibration analysis of a cantilevered beam. The person is choosing no damping in the subdomain settings menu, but the results show a damped vibration signal. They are unsure if this is a bug or if they are missing something. The other person suggests that the stiffness of the beam and initial conditions may be playing a role, and mentions two options for damping - no damping and Rayleigh damping. They also mention that turning off weak constraints can lead to absurd results.
incensus
Hi..
I'm trying to do the damped vibration analysis of a cantilevered beam. Although i am choosing no damping in subdomain settings menu, it solves the problem as if the material is damped (the result is a damped vibration signal).
Is this is a bug or am i missing something?
Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
It must be taking the stiffness of the beam into consideration. I believe the damping option is for a specific type of damping ( modeling wise ) You can probably find out more on the damping option from the modeling guide.

The initial conditions probably play a role as well. Is there an initial displacement, or a wave input?

Hi Nick;
There are two damping options : No damping and Rayleigh damping.. I choose "no damping". I know that Rayleigh damping is the combination of mass and stiffness but i don't choose it.

There is no initial displacement or any wave input. Only a force input(which is almost a impulse function) on one of the free boundaries.

There is another interesting point that if i choose "Weak Constraints : OFF", the results become very 'absurd'.

1. What is COMSOL and how does it work?

COMSOL is a multiphysics simulation software that allows scientists and engineers to model and analyze various physical systems. It uses a finite element method to solve complex equations and provides a user-friendly interface for designing and running simulations.

2. Can COMSOL be used for damped vibration analysis of a cantilevered beam?

Yes, COMSOL has a built-in module for structural mechanics that includes capabilities for damped vibration analysis of a cantilevered beam. The software allows for the input of material properties, geometry, and boundary conditions to accurately simulate the behavior of the beam under different loading and damping conditions.

3. How accurate are the results from COMSOL simulations?

The accuracy of the results from COMSOL simulations depends on the accuracy of the input data and the complexity of the model. The software uses advanced numerical methods and allows for high-resolution meshing, which can lead to highly accurate results. However, it is always important to validate the results with experimental data.

4. Can COMSOL simulate different types of damping in the cantilevered beam?

Yes, COMSOL has the capability to simulate various types of damping, such as viscous, structural, and material damping, in the cantilevered beam. The software allows for the specification of damping coefficients and can accurately simulate the effects of damping on the beam's vibration response.

5. How can COMSOL be used to optimize the design of a cantilevered beam for minimal damping?

COMSOL has optimization tools that can be used to find the optimal design of a cantilevered beam for minimal damping. By setting up an optimization study with specific objectives and constraints, the software can automatically vary the design parameters and find the best configuration. This can help engineers and scientists to design more efficient and robust structures.