How can a part's geometry be used for damping or to reduce vibration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of increasing damping within a part by altering its geometry. The main findings include the use of Rayleigh damping and the difficulty in obtaining damping constants. The speaker believes there is a link between stiffness and damping and is looking for ways to design a part to reduce stresses under dynamic loading. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the physics and materials involved in order to accurately model the dynamics.
1muffin
Hi,

So basically I am wondering how can you increase damping within a part, just by altering its geometry. I've researched this topic, but haven't yet found anything significant. Here are my main findings:

- Rayleigh Damping uses the equation: [C] = α[M] + β[K], which to me shows that mass and stiffness affect damping
- Damping constants are difficult to obtain; use of available literature and experimentation are the only ways to go

From this, I believe there is a useful link between stiffness and damping, and that I could design a part in certain ways to increase damping/reduce vibration (I understand these are very different things). For example, would stiffening a part, reduce the response of the part under excitation?

The aim for me is to develop an understanding from a design perspective as to how we can use geometry to reduce stresses in a part under dynamic loading.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
First, decide what you really want to do. You mentioned

Increasing damping
Reducing vibration
Reducing response
Reducing stresses

Those are four independent ideas. You could invent different examples which reduce one and increase the other three.

Also, the Rayleigh damping model is just a convenient mathematical fiction.

The first step in unpicking this tangle is probably to understand the physics of how energy is removed from your design. That will probably depend on what materials are involved. Then you can start using the appropriate mathematics to model the dynamics - which might or might not be Rayleigh damping.

What is damping and how does it relate to vibrations?

Damping is the process of dissipating energy from a vibrating system, which can reduce the amplitude of the vibration. In other words, it helps to reduce the intensity of the vibrations and make them less noticeable.

How can a part's geometry be used to enhance damping?

A part's geometry can be designed to include features such as curves, bends, or holes that can help to dissipate energy and reduce vibrations. These features act as dampers, absorbing the energy from the vibrations and reducing their intensity.

What factors should be considered when designing a part for damping?

When designing a part for damping, factors such as the material properties, the frequency and amplitude of the vibrations, and the required level of damping must be taken into account. The geometry of the part should also be carefully considered, as it can greatly impact the effectiveness of damping.

Can a part's geometry be used to target specific frequencies for damping?

Yes, a part's geometry can be designed to target specific frequencies for damping. For example, adding mass to a specific area of the part can help to dampen vibrations at a certain frequency. This can be achieved through careful analysis and testing during the design process.

Are there any limitations to using a part's geometry for damping?

While a part's geometry can be an effective way to reduce vibrations, there are some limitations to consider. For example, the added features for damping may increase the weight or complexity of the part, which could impact its overall performance. Additionally, the effectiveness of damping may also be limited by the material properties and the frequency of the vibrations.