COMSOL: stress on a sensor, how to use infinite element domain?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using an infinite element domain on COMSOL to simplify simulations of a sensor. The individual wants to apply this to a sensor node in order to study axial stress and buckling. There is uncertainty about how to implement this and the suggestion of using periodic boundary conditions is mentioned, with a warning about losing asymmetric buckling modes. The use of infinite elements in stress analyses is also mentioned, with the Kirsch problem and Comsol's Application Gallery cited as examples.
uppityd
At the risk of waiting hours on simulations of a sensor, I was wondering if I could use infinite element domain on COMSOL to simplify it.
The first image consists of what I would like to simulate but found out that the simulation time is a huge factor as I have a lot to simulations to conduct. It describes axial stress on the sensor in opposite directions to encourage buckling and see the extent of it.

What I hope is to use one sensor node and apply an infinite element domain to it.

The problem is that I am not entirely sure how to do this.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    16.8 KB · Views: 97
Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe you could use periodic boundary conditions instead. But be careful with any form of symmetry-related simplifaction in buckling analyses - you will lose asymmetric buckling modes.

When it comes to the use of infinite elements in stress analyses, Kirsch problem is a common example. Comsol's Application Gallery features such a case as well and infinite domain is used there.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is COMSOL and how does it work?

COMSOL is a multiphysics simulation software that allows scientists and engineers to model and simulate various physical phenomena, such as stress on a sensor. It uses finite element analysis (FEA) to solve complex equations and simulate real-world scenarios.

2. How can I use COMSOL to analyze stress on a sensor?

To analyze stress on a sensor using COMSOL, you will first need to create a finite element model of the sensor and its surrounding environment. Then, you can apply appropriate boundary conditions and loadings to simulate the stress on the sensor. Finally, you can analyze the results and make any necessary modifications to the model.

3. What is an infinite element domain and why is it important?

An infinite element domain is a computational domain that extends infinitely in one or more directions. It is important when simulating problems with infinite or unbounded domains, such as stress on a sensor in an infinite medium. Using an infinite element domain allows for more accurate and efficient simulations.

4. How do I create an infinite element domain in COMSOL?

To create an infinite element domain in COMSOL, you can use the "Infinite Element Domain" feature in the "Mesh" menu. This will allow you to specify the direction and extent of the infinite domain. You can also adjust the mesh settings to ensure a smooth transition between the finite and infinite elements.

5. Are there any limitations to using infinite element domains in COMSOL?

While infinite element domains can be useful in certain simulations, they may not be suitable for all cases. They may require more computational resources and can be more difficult to mesh and analyze. Additionally, they may not accurately represent real-world scenarios in which boundaries and limitations exist. It is important to carefully consider the use of infinite element domains and consult with experts if necessary.