1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual question on polarization

1. Mar 30, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are walking down a long hallway that has many light fixtures in the ceiling and a very shiny, newly waxed floor. In the floor, you see reflections of every light fixture. Now you put on sunglasses that are polarized. Some of the reflections of the light fixtures can not longer be seen. The reflections that disappear are those:

1. Nearest to you
    2. Farthest from you
    3. At an intermediate distance from you
    4. Both nearest & farthest

2. Relevant equations
    $$\mu = tan(i_b)$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the answer should be (3) and is indeed the case. However, I am not sure about the reason. I think it should be this way because rays from only a few sources at an intermediate distance will be incident at an angle equal to ##i_B##. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2017 #2
  4. Mar 30, 2017 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are on the right tract. The intensity of rays incident the floor at the Brewster angle and reflected from it can be extinguished by polarizing sunglasses.
    Which lamp is not seen, depends on the height of the ceiling, your height, and the distance of the lamp.

upload_2017-3-30_13-47-43.png

5. Mar 30, 2017 #4
    Okay. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted